C4 Mon 27th 9pm

janey

Jun 29, 2004
Hi everyone
Tony Robinson, whose mother had Alzheimers, has made a programme about their experiences called 'Me and My Mum'. Its going to be shown on Channel 4 at 9pm on Monday 27th March.

Norman

Oct 9, 2003
Birmingham Hades
Hazel and Neil
thank you for those links,we should all log onto them and pose some questions for Tony who is a member of the labour party executive.
I have placed my questions
Norman

Dearth

May 27, 2005
Wigan
www.freewebs.com
daughter said:
Thanks Dearth, did you also see the interview link from that page?

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,8123-2089424,00.html

I didn't - but I have seen it now - many thanks for that - an interesting and insightful interview.

As to questions... I've asked him some, but not from a 'political angle' - although I'm sure he'll receive many... I asked some info re: using humour as a therapy and coping strategy (as you know I'm a BIG promoter of humour therapy) - if he answers you'll see exactly what I'm on about.

:)

N.

Dearth

May 27, 2005
Wigan
www.freewebs.com
Dearth said:
I didn't - but I have seen it now - many thanks for that - an interesting and insightful interview.

As to questions... I've asked him some, but not from a 'political angle' - although I'm sure he'll receive many... I asked some info re: using humour as a therapy and coping strategy (as you know I'm a BIG promoter of humour therapy) - if he answers you'll see exactly what I'm on about.

N.

As to that... I've just checked - he's answered me!

Here's the info:

I asked:

"I work in healthcare (and will shortly become a qualified nurse on a Dementia Assessment Unit) and I'm a big advocate of "humour and laughter therapy". As a comedian yourself, may I ask do you find using humour and laughter can help with caring? I have shared many a joke with patients and feel that it has excellent therapeutic value.

Neil Baxter, Bolton"

And this is the reply:

"Yes I do. I have never thought that laughter was the opposite of seriousness. The opposite of seriousness is triviality which is a completely different matter. During the course of my film, we had a lot of laughs and I’m not embarrassed about that. It’s one of the ways we recognize the humanity in each other."

Interesting reply and very well put I reckon.

One flaw though... it's got me down as BOLTON!!!

Must be because we have a Bolton postcode... but I'm still closer to Wigan than Bolton!

His replies are all worth reading... he seems to be a chap that obviously cares - we could do with more like him!

Here's the link again so you can see all his replies... it saves you having to scroll back if yer lazy like me:

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,616-2090942,00.html

N.

Dearth

May 27, 2005
Wigan
www.freewebs.com
Linda Mc said:
Can't get Channel 4 only S4C anyone know if they are showing it too?

Linda

Seems not I'm afraid... the prog. on there for 9 p.m. Monday is 'CEFN GWLAD - BOIS DANYRHEOL'

Maybe someone could access it for you on Cable/Satellite and tape it?

Just a thought - because I know on our Cable t.v. we can get BBC Scotland/Wales etc - maybe you can get C4 down there?

N.

janey

Jun 29, 2004
Laughter:D and smiles:) (and cuddles) are the things that my Mum and I can still share (she has advanced vascular dementia), so for us they are incredibly important. And the laughter usually isn't about anything in particular - most importantly its our means of connecting with each other, so I treasure it.

Dearth

May 27, 2005
Wigan
www.freewebs.com
Thank you for sharing that Janey... Laughter Therapy is something I am hugely interested in - hence the question I posed.

It's one of the universal forms of communication and has such immense therapeutiv value when applied appropriately.

Yje thing you say about the laughter not being about anything in particular - I love anything like that... laughter just being spontaneous without any logic or reason!

Anyhow... I'll leave it for now - I'm going off at a tangent.

Looking forward to the documentary on Monday!

Best wishes once again Janey to both you and your Mum!

N.

janey

Jun 29, 2004
Hi Dearth
Just been reading about you and your new job in another thread - I want to add my congratulations to all the others! Its so heartening to read about your genuine interest and enthusiasm for dementia care and your intention to work to improve things - you are a special person for both sufferers and us relatives. Please don't let the NHS grind you down!
Best wishes,

Dearth

May 27, 2005
Wigan
www.freewebs.com
janey said:
Hi Dearth
Just been reading about you and your new job in another thread - I want to add my congratulations to all the others! Its so heartening to read about your genuine interest and enthusiasm for dementia care and your intention to work to improve things - you are a special person for both sufferers and us relatives. Please don't let the NHS grind you down!
Best wishes,

Many thanks for your kind words... believe me they are VERY much appreciated...

I hae battled to do a job specifically in Dementia Care... although as a Mental Health Nurse, I was aware that I might've ended up working in another area.

It paid off - I gave a good interview etc. because of my enthusiasm.

That's why I'm looking forward to the prog. on Monday... it's rare you see stuff re: Dementia on television (the exception now of course being the recent Coronation Street storyline).

Hopefully this will get a good number of viewers interested, and more t.v. progs. could be on the way.

Who knows? There may be a documentary about Younger People with dementia coming next - that is something I would very much like to see.

N.

Linda Mc

Jul 3, 2005
Nr Mold
S4C update

I found out this morning that S4C are showing the programmes but much later on the same evenings

Me & My Mum
Channel S4C 27 March 11.05 pm -12.05am

Adopt a Grandad
Channel S4C 28 March 11.30pm-12.30am

Adopt a Granny
Channels S4C 29 March 12 midnight -1am

Stairlift to Heaven
Channel S4C 30 March 12.35am-1.35am,

Won't be up that late but at least can record them.

Thank you Lynne for offering to record them for me.:)

Linda

noelphobic

Feb 24, 2006
Liverpool
Dearth said:
As to that... I've just checked - he's answered me!

Here's the info:

I asked:

"I work in healthcare (and will shortly become a qualified nurse on a Dementia Assessment Unit) and I'm a big advocate of "humour and laughter therapy". As a comedian yourself, may I ask do you find using humour and laughter can help with caring? I have shared many a joke with patients and feel that it has excellent therapeutic value.

Neil Baxter, Bolton"

And this is the reply:

"Yes I do. I have never thought that laughter was the opposite of seriousness. The opposite of seriousness is triviality which is a completely different matter. During the course of my film, we had a lot of laughs and I’m not embarrassed about that. It’s one of the ways we recognize the humanity in each other."

Interesting reply and very well put I reckon.

One flaw though... it's got me down as BOLTON!!!

Must be because we have a Bolton postcode... but I'm still closer to Wigan than Bolton!

His replies are all worth reading... he seems to be a chap that obviously cares - we could do with more like him!

Here's the link again so you can see all his replies... it saves you having to scroll back if yer lazy like me:

N.

I tried this link the other day and couldn't get it to work. However, someone on the age concern list just posted it and it did work. My question is on there also, fame at last! :D I'm Brenda from Liverpool by the way. I'll post the link I used just in case there is a difference

Dearth

May 27, 2005
Wigan
www.freewebs.com
Great stuff Brenda... if I give you my autograph - can I have yours? :D

By the way - great news as to the S4C thing... I obviously didn't look properly - apologies folks!

As far as I am aware though, it's not being repeated on E4 or MORE4... but if I find that changes I'll let you know

N.