C.Diff ?

germain

Jul 7, 2007
Hello all,

As some of you may know, from my previous posts - our Mum has been in hospital for about 3 weeks now and its been a real roller-coaster.

After finally persuading the staff that her dramatic decline was not just "how Alzheimers is" she was started on strong antibiotics for chest infection and UTI.
After about 48 hours there was a very marked improvement but now 5 days in with the antibiotics she's gone downhill again - refuses to open her eyes - speech is totally garbled etc.
We're at the stage now of just waiting for a bed in the rehab ward of our local community hospital BUT for the last two days she's had quite bad diarrhoea !
Could be just the antibiotics but if it isn't we're a bit worried.

I'm bringing home large amounts of heavily soiled pyjamas to soak and wash - and by the time I get home from the visits the soiling is dried on and takes a lot of "moving" - sorry bad choice of words there I think.

Will I be spreading infections at home if she has caught a hospital bug ?
Am using Napisan and very hot water at the moment but is there anything else I should be using or that others can recommend ?
(think washing machine will be going to the great white goods store in the sky very soon)
Any advice appreciated
Thanks
Germain

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Dear Germain,

Have the hospital tested a specimen to establish what the diarrhoea is? I woulsd ask them that immediately.

I would also ask if the deposits on your mother`s pyjamas could cause infection.

The hospital has a duty to keep you informed, especially if you are taking soiled clothes home to launder.

Words fail me. :eek:

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Hi Germain, that doesn't sound at all reasonable to me. You should definitely ask if your mum has an infection, it's your right to know. There was a case in then four-bedder opposite John's when he was in. The patient was immediately moved to isolation, and the bay was completely stripped and disinfected. I was a bit worried at the time, because John had a habit of wandering round the other bays.

I would also ask if your mum could use, hospital pyjamas -- there is always a supply available for those who don't have visitors. If there is any chance of infection, you certainly shouldn't be bringing clothing home.

I hope it's a false alarm, and your mum recovers soon.

Love,

Tender Face

Account Closed
Mar 14, 2006
NW England
Hi Germain, sadly you may have seen C Diff is getting huge press coverage today .... the irony being it may secure more help and advice for anyone with concerns just at this time ..... ????

Ask the questions .... I doubt you are likely to be 'fobbed' off just now,

Hoping for a positive outcome for you, love Karen, x