Bye, Mum.

CaringDaughter

Sep 22, 2013
Somehow I find myself back at TP and wishing I'd spent more time on looking at the 'end of life' posts.

Mum died this afternoon and after the last twelve years I can only wish her peace, and mourn the person we lost years ago.
It's been so hard reading about other people's struggles, and wishing I could help them. Now I know that there's nothing anyone can do to help in the end. Dementia claims another life.

stanleypj

Dec 8, 2011
North West
I'm so sorry to hear this sad news CaringDaughter. As you suggest, there's only one ending with dementia. The support of friends and family can help at this time but I don't think anyone ever completely overcomes the pain.

Prudence9

Oct 8, 2016
@CaringDaughter I'm so very sorry about your Mum.
Yes, she'll be at peace at last and you will be able to fully grieve.
I hope you'll be able to take some comfort from TP.
Love to you xxx

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
I'm so sorry to read your news @CaringDaughter.

Wishing you strength for the time to come. Please keep posting on the forum. I know you will continue to get support to help you through.

love.dad.but..

Jan 16, 2014
Kent
Am so sorry that your much loved mum has passed away and you now find yourself as many have here on TP me included thankful that their dementia torment is now over but mixed emotions of wishing this cruel illness had never entered their and our lives. You have indeed been a caring daughter to give help and comfort your mum needed you most and I wish you strength in the days and weeks ahead.

CaringDaughter

Sep 22, 2013
Thanks to everyone who has posted a reply - you've made me cry again but I do so appreciate the kind words x

Marcelle123

Nov 9, 2015
Yorkshire
I lost my Mum six months ago, and am still missing her so much, and feeling so sad about her dementia and how it changed her and her life.

I am so very sorry to read of the loss of your Mum, CaringDaughter. You must be feeling stunned and broken-hearted. Wishing you as much peace and solace as is possible at this time, and for a gradual healing.

Love & best wishes,
Marcelle xx

CaringDaughter

Sep 22, 2013
I lost my Mum six months ago, and am still missing her so much, and feeling so sad about her dementia and how it changed her and her life.

I am so very sorry to read of the loss of your Mum, CaringDaughter. You must be feeling stunned and broken-hearted. Wishing you as much peace and solace as is possible at this time, and for a gradual healing.

Love & best wishes,
Marcelle xx

Thank you, Marcelle. It is never right to lose someone before they actually depart, and I'm sorry you're still sad about the dementia. Being in good company - as you are here - may help you. You're right, I'm stunned and desperately upset. I wish you peace, too. x

Norfolk Cherry

Feb 17, 2018
Sorry to hear of your loss, how wonderful that she loved you and was loved by you to the end. It is a true test, I hope that as time washes the immediate pain away you will be able to remember the wonderful life you shared before the worst of the dementia hit. I hope I can do the same for my mum.

CaringDaughter

Sep 22, 2013
Sorry to hear of your loss, how wonderful that she loved you and was loved by you to the end. It is a true test, I hope that as time washes the immediate pain away you will be able to remember the wonderful life you shared before the worst of the dementia hit. I hope I can do the same for my mum.

I hope so, too

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
sad news CaringDaughter
your mum is at peace; I hope there will be comfort and peace of mind for you also

worried2

Aug 1, 2010
So sorry for your loss, CaringDaughter. Even though you know it’s going to happen it’s still a shock when it does. I hope in time the pain will ease and you can take comfort in all the happy times you shared with your lovely mum. Xx

Hazara8

Apr 6, 2015
Somehow I find myself back at TP and wishing I'd spent more time on looking at the 'end of life' posts.

Mum died this afternoon and after the last twelve years I can only wish her peace, and mourn the person we lost years ago.
It's been so hard reading about other people's struggles, and wishing I could help them. Now I know that there's nothing anyone can do to help in the end. Dementia claims another life.
The whole of life draws in on itself at this moment, a kind of 'removed' state, whilst the world outside continues on just as before. In that,there is something of tremendous value, allowing one to focus entirely on something completely your own. They may call it grieving, or whatever label denotes the depth of feeling which comes about after a loved one has died - especially in this world of dementia, which has claimed a 'person' much earlier on, whilst leaving them to live on so impaired by a disease which seems to mock at all the values we hold dear. Such is dementia.

Yet what seems so overwhelming now, so painful, so ridden with contradictions, will transform at some stage. Not tomorrow, nor the week afterwards, but when one actually becomes cognizant of the fact that the loved one no longer has to bear that struggle, that consuming disease termed dementia, there is genuine solace, because the battle is ended. Then, through a clearer and calmer mind, all the 'positives' come into play. The mother we knew, who was once able to laugh and cry with us, care for us, console us, nurture us and always be our mother, despite everything, despite dementia - is at peace. Our journey with dementia, a shared one in as much as we, as carers, as children, possess that bond, that very special bond, that journey too is over. One will feel that weight lifted from one's heart and mind. Not now, but a time ahead. And when that time does arrive, you can look upon the picture hanging on the bedroom wall, as I do every single morning, of a mother who bravely lived the latter years of her life with Alzheimer's, which was to claim her life, a picture taken before the disease was diagnosed, a picture taken on a tranquil afternoon, beside a river, where we took our very last picnic, with my mother smiling as she always did, like a ray of sunshine filled with abiding love, and you can look upon that picture without sadness, without pain, without a shred of despair, but with a profound sense of joy, of having been lucky enough to have had such a mother, for
so long and for giving to me so much of herself, even up until the very end of her own life.

Marnie63

Dec 26, 2015
Hampshire
I'm sorry for your loss CaringDaughter and wish you strength for the coming days and weeks. May your dear mum rest in peace now.

Jezzer

Jun 12, 2016
Lincoln, UK

@CaringDaughter I am so very sorry to learn of your mum's passing. This must be such a difficult time for you and many mixed emotions. You are in my thoughts and prayers.

jaymor

Jul 14, 2006
South Staffordshire
So sorry for your sad loss. For those of us who have loved, cared and lost it’s not easy but hold onto the fact your dear mum is now at rest. Dementia can no longer touch her. I wish you all the strength in the world to get you through the next few weeks and months.

My husband died two years ago and now my memories are all good ones, memories from before dementia.