Bye Bye Dad, you can "go home " now

katie1

Aug 5, 2014
Kendal Cumbria
My lovely Daddy passed away just after midnight last night. He had been calm and happy in the nursing home that he was living in for the last 8 weeks, beginning to settle and joining in a few of the activities and enjoying going outside for walks. He was physically fit and active and could be humorous and a bit cheeky at times! He knew me and Mums names and gave us a lovely hug the other day. But yesterday evening as he was walking along the corridor, he slumped suddenly over to one side and collapsed. He was only semi conscious when the ambulance got there and the Nursing home staff did all they could. Me and Mum met him at the hospital and were by his side holding his hand and stroking his face as he passed away.
He went through a stage of always asking to go home even when he was at home, I believe a common trait of many with dementias....well Dad, yes now you can go home, now you can rest.
He was spared the indignities of the latter stages, he knew us, he was not incontinent, he could walk and could feed himself with prompting. I think it was for the best......although very very painfully sad

Last edited:

nellbelles

Volunteer Host
Nov 6, 2008
leicester
My condolences to you and your family, we are glad they are no longer fighting a difficult illness, but we miss them so much.

Wishing you all strength for the coming days.

CollegeGirl

Jan 19, 2011
North East England
I'm so very sorry to hear this Katie, please accept my condolences, although I can totally understand what you mean about him being spared the indignities of the later stages. I'm glad he was happy and settled in his last few weeks. Take care x

Kjn

Jul 27, 2013
Sorry to hear your news Katie , now he is at peace , give yourself time now xxx

daisydi

Feb 25, 2015
Norfolk
So sorry for your loss Katie but please take some comfort from the fact that he didn't suffer the horrible end stages this disease dishes out and that he passed with dignity with you and your mum. God bless your dad

CCM2013

Feb 7, 2013
London
Aww sending big hugs to you - I lost my dad at beginning of May - and am finding all the Fathers Day cards and merchandise very upsetting, thinking of you at this difficult time.

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Oh Katie. How terribly sad. I'm so glad that you and your mum were with your dad as he passed away. Wishing you both strength. x

fredsnail

Dec 21, 2008
Sorry to hear of your loss Katie - I wish your Mum and you peace and strength for the days to come.

jan.s

Sep 20, 2011
So sorry Katie for the loss of your Dad. I am thinking of you and your mum. X

Tears Falling

Jul 8, 2013
Sending my condolences to you and your mum. Pleased to read your dad was settled and that you were able to be with him at the end.

nannylondon

Apr 7, 2014
London
My lovely Daddy passed away just after midnight last night. He had been calm and happy in the nursing home that he was living in for the last 8 weeks, beginning to settle and joining in a few of the activities and enjoying going outside for walks. He was physically fit and active and could be humorous and a bit cheeky at times! He knew me and Mums names and gave us a lovely hug the other day. But yesterday evening as he was walking along the corridor, he slumped suddenly over to one side and collapsed. He was only semi conscious when the ambulance got there and the Nursing home staff did all they could. Me and Mum met him at the hospital and were by his side holding his hand and stroking his face as he passed away.
He went through a stage of always asking to go home even when he was at home, I believe a common trait of many with dementias....well Dad, yes now you can go home, now you can rest.
He was spared the indignities of the latter stages, he knew us, he was not incontinent, he could walk and could feed himself with prompting. I think it was for the best......although very very painfully sad

Sending my condolences to you and your mum xx

Dazmum

Jul 10, 2011
Horsham, West Sussex
I'm so sorry Katie,for you and your mum. I can completely understand what you say about your dad being spared the indignities, and he is now at peace. Thinking of you all xxx

jimbo 111

Jan 23, 2009
North Bucks

Deepest Sympathy

From the heart we share your grief
jimbo