1. Expert Q&A: Benefits - Weds 23 October, 3-4pm

Our next expert Q&A will be on the topic of benefits. It will be hosted by Lauren from our Knowledge Services team. She'll be answering your questions on Wednesday 23 October between 3-4pm.

You can either post your question >here< or email them to us at talkingpoint@alzheimers.org.uk and we'll be happy to ask them on your behalf.

Bye Bye Dad, you can "go home " now

Discussion in 'After dementia — dealing with loss' started by katie1, Jun 19, 2015.

1. katie1

katie1 Registered User

Aug 5, 2014
    Kendal Cumbria
    #1 katie1, Jun 19, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2015
    My lovely Daddy passed away just after midnight last night. He had been calm and happy in the nursing home that he was living in for the last 8 weeks, beginning to settle and joining in a few of the activities and enjoying going outside for walks. He was physically fit and active and could be humorous and a bit cheeky at times! He knew me and Mums names and gave us a lovely hug the other day. But yesterday evening as he was walking along the corridor, he slumped suddenly over to one side and collapsed. He was only semi conscious when the ambulance got there and the Nursing home staff did all they could. Me and Mum met him at the hospital and were by his side holding his hand and stroking his face as he passed away.
    He went through a stage of always asking to go home even when he was at home, I believe a common trait of many with dementias....well Dad, yes now you can go home, now you can rest.
    He was spared the indignities of the latter stages, he knew us, he was not incontinent, he could walk and could feed himself with prompting. I think it was for the best......although very very painfully sad

2. ellejay

ellejay Registered User

Jan 28, 2011
    Essex
    I am so sorry Katie, thinking of you and your mum. Please accept my condolences x

Lin x

3. nellbelles

nellbelles Volunteer Host

Nov 6, 2008
    leicester
    My condolences to you and your family, we are glad they are no longer fighting a difficult illness, but we miss them so much.

Wishing you all strength for the coming days.

4. CollegeGirl

CollegeGirl Registered User

Jan 19, 2011
    North East England
    I'm so very sorry to hear this Katie, please accept my condolences, although I can totally understand what you mean about him being spared the indignities of the later stages. I'm glad he was happy and settled in his last few weeks. Take care x

5. Kjn

Kjn Registered User

Jul 27, 2013
    Sorry to hear your news Katie , now he is at peace , give yourself time now xxx

6. CeliaW

CeliaW Registered User

Jan 29, 2009
    Hampshire
    My condolences Katie but so good you and your Mum were with him. Take care of yourselves xx

7. daisydi

daisydi Registered User

Feb 25, 2015
    Norfolk
    So sorry for your loss Katie but please take some comfort from the fact that he didn't suffer the horrible end stages this disease dishes out and that he passed with dignity with you and your mum. God bless your dad

8. CCM2013

CCM2013 Registered User

Feb 7, 2013
    London
    Aww sending big hugs to you - I lost my dad at beginning of May - and am finding all the Fathers Day cards and merchandise very upsetting, thinking of you at this difficult time.

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

9. Izzy

Izzy Volunteer Moderator

Aug 31, 2003
    Female
    Dundee
    Oh Katie. How terribly sad. I'm so glad that you and your mum were with your dad as he passed away. Wishing you both strength. x

10. cragmaid

cragmaid Registered User

Oct 18, 2010
    North East England
    Safe journey home, Katie's Dad......and my sympathy to you and your family Katie.x

11. fredsnail

fredsnail Registered User

Dec 21, 2008
    Sorry to hear of your loss Katie - I wish your Mum and you peace and strength for the days to come.

12. Gigglemore

Gigglemore Registered User

Oct 18, 2013
    British Isles
    So sorry for the loss of your lovely Daddy. Wishing you and your Mum strength to support each other at this very sad time.

13. jan.s

jan.s Registered User

Sep 20, 2011
    So sorry Katie for the loss of your Dad. I am thinking of you and your mum. X

14. brambles

brambles Registered User

Sep 22, 2014
    Female
    NW England
    So very sorry Katie. Glad you were able to be with your dad at the end. x

15. Tears Falling

Tears Falling Registered User

Jul 8, 2013
    Sending my condolences to you and your mum. Pleased to read your dad was settled and that you were able to be with him at the end.

16. reedysue

reedysue Registered User

Nov 4, 2014
    Scotland
    So sorry to hear of your sad loss.

17. patsy56

patsy56 Registered User

Jan 14, 2015
    Fife Scotland
    sorry to hear take care

18. nannylondon

nannylondon Registered User

Apr 7, 2014
    London
    Sending my condolences to you and your mum xx

19. Dazmum

Dazmum Registered User

I'm so sorry Katie,for you and your mum. I can completely understand what you say about your dad being spared the indignities, and he is now at peace. Thinking of you all xxx

20. jimbo 111

jimbo 111 Registered User

Jan 23, 2009
    North Bucks
    Deepest Sympathy

From the heart we share your grief
    jimbo