Buying clothes,where from?

whitehead1976

Dec 22, 2016
Nottingham
I look after my mother who has lost mobility,could anyone tell me a good place to buy clothes for a lady she is nearly 80 and only 5',being a young man I haven't had to spare much thought to this until now.
She would be looking for loungewear just stuff that is comfortable I suppose and easily washed?
On a positive note I have just found her bedsocks from cosyfeet after speaking to the customer help desk who were great,and they are the best socks ever,so if this helps anyone that would be nice.

doodle1

May 11, 2012
Ok so m and s do brilliant Jersey trousers look for elasticated waists and depending on your mums height shorter trousers too.,Edinburgh woollen mill have very reasonable tops and jumpers and are very good at refunds/ exchanges. Cosyfee do shoes really fab as well as socks..Damart is also a good value cheap option.
Good luck keep,posting

Tin

May 18, 2014
UK
My mum wears trousers only now she loves the casual wear that Cotton Traders offer. We are fortunate that there is an outletshop near us, but we still have to order online - from the shop - because they do not stock the shorter leg. Great casual with elasticated and drawstring waist. We have also got a few things from Damart.

SnowWhite

Nov 18, 2016
My mum is 93 and also only about 5 feet tall. I have been buying just about all her clothes from M and S Classic Range for years now. The trousers are well cut, not expensive and they do a short leg which is what your Mum would need. She doesn't like zips so they just pull on but look nice and they're quite fashionable.

The staff in there are very good too and will find you tops to match if you ask and give their opinions and always got the extra mile.

whitehead1976

Dec 22, 2016
Nottingham
Ok so m and s do brilliant Jersey trousers look for elasticated waists and depending on your mums height shorter trousers too.,Edinburgh woollen mill have very reasonable tops and jumpers and are very good at refunds/ exchanges. Cosyfee do shoes really fab as well as socks..Damart is also a good value cheap option.
Good luck keep,posting

Thanks for your recommendations

Amy in the US

Feb 28, 2015
USA
I'm in the States, so I don't know if this works for you, but I buy most of my mother's clothes online/over the phone with Land's End. They have cotton knit trousers with elasticized waists that fit her and that she will wear. They also make a heaver version in a cotton corduroy fabric for winter. They have a petite length and are easy to get on and off. They also stand up well to the commercial washers and dryers that her care home uses. They will have a 20-25% off sale fairly often, and a few times a year they have a 40% off sale and I stock up then!

I buy some tops online as above, but also locally from places like M&S, TK Maxx, and the like. My mother is somewhat petite and I find that tops that have 3/4 length sleeves are sometimes just the right length for as "long sleeved" tops. Although my mother is still okay with having her sleeves rolled up, that doesn't work for everyone.

With my mother, tops don't last as long as trousers, so I don't buy anything expensive.

My mother is often cold so layers are always key, usually a long-sleeved t-shirt or similar pullover top, and then some sort of cardigan or unstructured jacked. She won't wear anything too constricting, so nothing fitted.

I hear good things about Cotton Traders and Cosyfeet as well.

You do want to look for a petite or short length, especially for trousers.

Hope you are able to find something that works!

whitehead1976

Dec 22, 2016
Nottingham
My mum is 93 and also only about 5 feet tall. I have been buying just about all her clothes from M and S Classic Range for years now. The trousers are well cut, not expensive and they do a short leg which is what your Mum would need. She doesn't like zips so they just pull on but look nice and they're quite fashionable.

The staff in there are very good too and will find you tops to match if you ask and give their opinions and always got the extra mile.

Thanks,I will pop and see them and find an assistant to help me choose as you have said,I have looked on line and it was a maze

whitehead1976

Dec 22, 2016
Nottingham
I'm in the States, so I don't know if this works for you, but I buy most of my mother's clothes online/over the phone with Land's End. They have cotton knit trousers with elasticized waists that fit her and that she will wear. They also make a heaver version in a cotton corduroy fabric for winter. They have a petite length and are easy to get on and off. They also stand up well to the commercial washers and dryers that her care home uses. They will have a 20-25% off sale fairly often, and a few times a year they have a 40% off sale and I stock up then!

I buy some tops online as above, but also locally from places like M&S, TK Maxx, and the like. My mother is somewhat petite and I find that tops that have 3/4 length sleeves are sometimes just the right length for as "long sleeved" tops. Although my mother is still okay with having her sleeves rolled up, that doesn't work for everyone.

With my mother, tops don't last as long as trousers, so I don't buy anything expensive.

My mother is often cold so layers are always key, usually a long-sleeved t-shirt or similar pullover top, and then some sort of cardigan or unstructured jacked. She won't wear anything too constricting, so nothing fitted.

I hear good things about Cotton Traders and Cosyfeet as well.

You do want to look for a petite or short length, especially for trousers.

Hope you are able to find something that works!

Thanks so much for your advice

whitehead1976

Dec 22, 2016
Nottingham
My mum wears trousers only now she loves the casual wear that Cotton Traders offer. We are fortunate that there is an outletshop near us, but we still have to order online - from the shop - because they do not stock the shorter leg. Great casual with elasticated and drawstring waist. We have also got a few things from Damart.

Thanks for your recommendations

whitehead1976

Dec 22, 2016
Nottingham
My town has a few good charity shops and I have found t shirts and tracksuit tops that appeared to have been hardly used and the colours were still very fresh

SnowWhite

Nov 18, 2016
Thanks,I will pop and see them and find an assistant to help me choose as you have said,I have looked on line and it was a maze

You need to see the CLASSIC range which are best suited to older ladies but still fashionable. Let us know how you get on.

whitehead1976

Dec 22, 2016
Nottingham
You need to see the CLASSIC range which are best suited to older ladies but still fashionable. Let us know how you get on.
I have made a note of the classic range and will let you know how I get on,my mum wasn't ever a clothes person so that helps a little she dressed for comfort when she was on her feet in baggy trousers of joggies and sweaters,I have a good eye for a nice design and colours though,I hope to go this week.

nita

Dec 30, 2011
Essex
My mother too was a short lady and she liked the corduroy trousers from Damart - they had a 25" length which was right for her. You need to check that when you shop as sometimes they have to be taken up and I don't suppose you want to be doing that!

Selinacroft

Oct 10, 2015
Let us know how your shopping goes- I'm sure most of us ladies like to hear about cothes shopping :D

Rosettastone57

Oct 27, 2016
I look after my mother who has lost mobility,could anyone tell me a good place to buy clothes for a lady she is nearly 80 and only 5',being a young man I haven't had to spare much thought to this until now.
She would be looking for loungewear just stuff that is comfortable I suppose and easily washed?
On a positive note I have just found her bedsocks from cosyfeet after speaking to the customer help desk who were great,and they are the best socks ever,so if this helps anyone that would be nice.

My MIL uses JD Williams the online site. Which I run of course. Lots of soft leisure wear

whitehead1976

Dec 22, 2016
Nottingham
My mother too was a short lady and she liked the corduroy trousers from Damart - they had a 25" length which was right for her. You need to check that when you shop as sometimes they have to be taken up and I don't suppose you want to be doing that!
Thanks I will have a look at Damart,we have a lady in the town that does alterations that I have used many times myself

elvismad

Jan 8, 2012
Try House of Bath as they do extra short pull on trousers in loads of colours and they wash well and ate reasonably priced

theunknown

Apr 17, 2015
clothing for those in care homes

I would suggest 'designed to care' - a uk website. The range is fairly basic, but what they offer suits those who either have problems dressing themselves, or need help with this.