Buying Birthday Presents

SLS

Feb 20, 2004
Lancashire
What do you buy someone who has Alzheimers?
Are there any gifts that can help with the condition?.

I've read in the newsletters about people with Alzheimers getting attached to soft toys and the use of lavender as an aromatherapy treatment, but I would like to know if anyone has any other good suggestions.

Thanks!

Angela

May 28, 2003
Wales
Hi And welcome to talking point
How about a photo album, and if need be, spend some time assisting the person to put some old photos in, help them to write details that may help jog the memory, ie date, place, who etc?
A diary is another possibility.
Thats the immediate ideas.
Good luck

SLS

Feb 20, 2004
Lancashire
Angela

Thank you for your reply. I subscribe to the newsletters but I am new to the web site. It's great to find a discussion forum like this, as once diagnosed, doctors seem to offer little help & advice with patients with alzheimers.

Thanks!

Last edited:

Angela

May 28, 2003
Wales
Your welcome.
Yes you are absolutly right - thats why theres people like me employed by the Alzheimer's Society to, shall I say, fill in the gaps!

Charlie

Apr 1, 2003
Hi SLS....

Your right it get a little more difficult to buy gifts as times go on. I always hunt out something that makes my dad laugh, it seems to be the best therapy for him, well everyone really. He loves watching old series like Fawlty Towers and Dads Army over and over again so these have definitely been a big hit.
good luck
Charlie

kareng

Feb 5, 2004
Bristol
Yes, things that raise a smile are good. I also recommend things that are aimed at the senses.

I have a small fat carved wooden cat which I love because it's so plump and smooth and pleasing to touch, and every time my mum comes home now she makes a beeline for it on the mantelpiece. I am looking for something similar to give her. When I was looking after my mum at home, I found that she adored having lovely smelly bubble baths even though she'd never really bothered with things like that when she was well.

karen

Geraldine

Oct 17, 2003
Nottingham
Hi

I think a photo album is also an excellent idea. If you go to the Hobbyshop or similar you can loads of gadgets for scrapbooking, to cut the photo's into 'arty'shapes, offcuts of fancy paper and stickers to decorate the page. I did one for my Mum for Xmas and did themed pages, ie when Mum and dad met, when they had me, earky wedding and outings, my son in the garden ect. I also took great joy in doing it, it took many hours of my time (off which i now have loads as Mum is in a home) and I felt this time spent on the gift was alos part of the present.

Good luck

geraldine