Butterfly Count and Contemplation

BeckyJan

Nov 28, 2005
Derbyshire
Last year I did the Butterfly Count and was amazed at the number of butterflies I had visiting the garden. So I have just done my first for this year. Only 1 to record which is a bit sad but will do it again later today and within the next few days.

It involves sitting for 15 minutes to record the butterflies you see. Whilst there was not much happening today it gave me time to contemplate on how things are now over 3 years since David died. I never forget him and this corner of the garden is where I sit to count butterflies and to just think! There is a lot of sadness but at the same the joy that this corner belonged to us. The roses were set up at the very beginning of his illness and I keep it much as it was then. Some of his ashes are there so I feel very close.

www.bigbutterflycount.org

It would be lovely to hear from others who are doing this count - it helps track what is happening in the environment!

Attachments

• ButterflywatchJuly15.jpg
    ButterflywatchJuly15.jpg
    193.4 KB · Views: 330

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
What a lovely garden you have and how special those roses must be
My husband and I are going to do the butterfly count too. We did the bird count earlier on this year.

BeckyJan

Nov 28, 2005
Derbyshire
Yes the roses are special :).

I would love to hear what you record re butterflies in your garden. Its amazing how many there are and how they are disregarded in our everyday lives.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
I often see the odd white butterfly fluttering about and occasionally two together. A few years ago I had pale blue butterflies in my garden but have never seen any since. Someone told me it was the type of flower in the garden which attracted the blue ones. They were really lovely.
I`m not very good at identifying them and have never done a count.

The roses look lovely Jan.