Butter and cheese in the bread bin??????????/

nerak

Account Closed
Jul 4, 2013
ireland
FED UP!! this dementia is starting to cost a fortune!

Has anyone experienced this??

Ive told my mum its warm please dont leave the milk in the lounge put it back in the fridge? it goes off then weve no milk left but she keeps doing it??:mad:

Now she keeps putting CHEESE AND BUTTER IN THE BREADBIN so its nice and warm and runny????????????

Am tearing my hair out(lucky I have thick hair and can afford to lose a few strands but may end up bald after this:eek:)

then she asks what im doing with all her money?????? any suggestions this is starting to cost alot!:(

Shash7677

Sep 15, 2012
Nuneaton, warwickshire
Hi Nerak,

No practical advice I'm afraid but we uses to find the milk in the cupboard and nesquik in the fridge when mum used to look after the boys. This is partly how we knew there was a problem.

We've found keys in socks, toast in cupboards, bleach in bedrooms all sorts. I think the worst was, one day I asked sad what they were having for tea. He said its in the fridge have a look. I looked in the fridge and said 'dad, unless you've got bread, milk, ham and diet coke for tea it's not in here!!!'. Then the hint for tea began. We checked the washing machine, the dryer, cupboards, draws everywhere. I then checked the oven!! There was tea, all in its packaging sitting happily in the oven. Thankfully the oven was switched off else there could have been a hell of a mess.

In the end dad used to retrace mums steps about 2 minutes after she had walked them and checked everything!!! If I was there I used to have a quick look round all the bedrooms, in cupboards and draws to make sure nothing that shouldn't be there had been put there.

It's an absolute nightmare I know, but really and truthfully unless she will read a note that's put on the bread in to say cheese and butter in the fridge then I'm not sure what else to suggest.

Just wanted you to know you're not alone

Sharon

nerak

Account Closed
Jul 4, 2013
ireland
Thanks sharon ANOTHER part of this madness!

Have a solution I will put a note on the fridge door saying NO CHEESE OR MILK!!!!! you know reverse psychology:eek::eek:

garnuft

Sep 7, 2012
You are living with your Mum?

You are caring for her?

I know these things can be the last straw but it would be better for Mum if you could buy enough milk to compensate for the times you digress.

Shash7677

Sep 15, 2012
Nuneaton, warwickshire
What about having some of the UHT carton milk in, you know the stuff in the supermarket that they don't keep in the fridge. It's nowhere near as awful tasting as it was when I was younger, save the fresh milk from the fridge getting spoilt.

It's difficult as I don't think, no matter how hard we try we can stop it happening. We still find strange things in odd places in mums room even now she is in a NH.

Damned bloody dementia!!!

nerak

Account Closed
Jul 4, 2013
ireland
Maybe silly but can you freeze milk?????

Im not a dairy person so dont know if you can or not??

I think I will freeze the milk and butter and just give her a little everyday this all adds up to a good bit of money.

OR just dont go out stay here 24hrs a day and constantly watch her like the Gestapo(thats what she calls me!!)

jeany123

Mar 24, 2012
Durham
Yes you can freeze milk i don't think you can freeze it for long just a couple of weeks, a lady in a big house i used to work for just did their shopping once a fortnight and froze milk in the 2 litre containers to keep it fresh,

Jeany x

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
I freeze butter. It`s fine.

Be careful freezing milk. It expands when frozen and mine `burst` the plastic container so when it defrosted it leaked all over the place.

UHT milk is definitely the best to use if your mother is living by herself.

Jessbow

Mar 1, 2013
Midlands
Decant into smaller bottle and freeze.Have a couple on the go at a time because it takes ages to defrost.

BTW - she doesn't remember it needs to go away, or she'd do it!

Leave her a sandwich made before you go out in the morning. or only put a small knob of butter in the dish, not half a pound. Likewise the cheese, cut into pieces and wrap individually . and freeze some

Last edited:

FifiMo

Feb 10, 2010
Wiltshire
One of the best things you can get to help manage these things is a vacuum sealer machine like this:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/160W-Automa...qid=1374818001&sr=8-16&keywords=Vacuum+sealer

Then you can divide everything into manageable portions so there is no wastage. You can use a permanent marker to leave instructions. Brilliant for dividing up things like cold meats, chees (you can grate and vacuum seal enough for a sandwich), you can even make your own ready meals and just boil in the bag and serve. The 'bags' come as a tube on a roll and you just cut to whatever size you need and you can wash the bags and reuse them for something else. Perfect for storing dry ingredients like pasta or rice as you can measure out a portion size then write instructions on the bag on how to cook them. What I tend to do is say buy a pack of chicken breasts I then vacuum seal them one in each bag. Put could in the fridge to use during the week ... I jus boil them in the bag then have with some salad...the rest go in the freezer. I can buy those HUGE trays of say pasta meals, take it home divide it up into individual portions so there is no wastage. This means I can take advantage of special offers in the supermarket.

Outside of food, you can use it as a laminator and seal documents ... Maybe do things like list of contact numbers. For people with dexterity problems you can even use it for creating smaller packages of things like soap powder. If you are imaginative, you could use them for managing tablets on a daily basis and write instructions on the front. The bags can be used over and over again. During the hot weather I had bags of water that I froze ... Some for ice...some to use as cool packs! After they had melted I just re froze them! I even made a couple of extra large ones and put a cool pack in the dog's bed!!!

It has just been one of those gadgets that you wonder how you managed before! Oh, and finally, you can re seal any plastic bag with it...so no more freezer full of escaped peas any more as I can reseal the bag after I've.taken some out!

Fiona.

turmoil

Feb 3, 2013
West Yorkshire
Hi there

I have the same thing and I am sorry to say I HAVE LOST THE BATTLE . I have had to accept the bird seed, dog biscuits in the bread bin along with carrier bags are the norm now, milk left on the staircase ect ect the list goes on . I have found buying smaller items = less waste but the cost of the waste is mega.

I freeze butter and milk for Dad by the way.

Good luck

Turmoil

jaymor

Jul 14, 2006
South Staffordshire
A loaf of bread left on the work top to defrost would be turned into a line of two slices leaning up against each other like little tents by my husband. One day I put two frozen pork chops out under cover to defrost for our evening meal. They disappeared and my husband knew nothing of two pork chops going missing.

A few days later when doing some washing I opened the boiler cupboard where I keep my washing tablets and there on the top of the boiler were the two pork chops. He had also put a packet of butter on top of the boiler to defrost and it had melted and run all down the sides of the boiler. A fire risk. When anything went missing, food wise I looked in the boiler cupboard first.

Horrid, horrid disease,

Jay

Kazzi

Oct 21, 2011
Hi

We have had the same problems with my father in law for some time. Now we just take it for granted and when we visit search everywhere to see what we can find. He lives on his own and he goes to a day centre 5 days a week but they do him a sandwich etc for his tea when he comes home. We buy him food every week, things he can just eat when he wants it like biscuits, fruit, crisps, but they disappear all the time. We find them in drawers, under cushions, in the bed, under pillows, everywhere. We have had the same thing with milk going off and have no idea what he does with it. We now just get him things we know he will eat and that doesn't go off.

No help I'm afraid but we have just accepted it, don't get stressed about it and just cope.

trigger

Account on hold
Aug 25, 2009
Plymstock Devon
FED UP!! this dementia is starting to cost a fortune!

Has anyone experienced this??

Ive told my mum its warm please dont leave the milk in the lounge put it back in the fridge? it goes off then weve no milk left but she keeps doing it??:mad:

Now she keeps putting CHEESE AND BUTTER IN THE BREADBIN so its nice and warm and runny????????????

Am tearing my hair out(lucky I have thick hair and can afford to lose a few strands but may end up bald after this:eek:)

then she asks what im doing with all her money?????? any suggestions this is starting to cost alot!:(

We always keep our butter that’s in use in the bread bin so it will spread easily

Cfduti

May 13, 2013
The way my mum and I are dealing with this is by selling the large fridge that has served us well and getting a couple of small ones instead (I've moved to next door). It'll roughly cost nothing as the sale 'old' one will probably even leave a gain. Then mums fridge goes on top of a bench so she has easy access, I'll have a fridge in my place from which I'll feed her fridge. Instead of doing a couple of shopping trips a week I now do a smallish one every day. Lower el costs, less waste of food so less cost there and more immediately appropriate purchases. I no longer have a reason to be annoyed by mums habits. They don't bother her and I pick up the slack by checking food daily. So again, for me and mum it's about me shifting my expectations and compensating rather than thinking I can change my mum. This is getting easier not harder while mum continues her progressive journey. (so far)
Some good news too in getting a respite day a week now. Wow. On the first one I kept having to remind myself to slow down because I can and: not - think - about - mum,
Even though she couldn't remember the nice time she had she has been more content as a result. When she was first alert on the day that it was happening she was worried. I said I am really glad she is helping me get some things done and then she was happy again. Her main thing at the moment seems to be to feel useful and valued and to have a simple life so the things she does have to worry about are few and simple.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ArthurPOA