butans patches

missmouse

Jan 19, 2012
Kent
Hello - I am posting two posts because they are both different. Here is the first one. I do value all your help you have given me.

My mother who has Parkinson's disease and Lewy Body Dementia, has a painful hand she clutches it close to her stomach and it is clasped with the thumb resting on the palm - if you can imagine that. The palliative care nurse said it was because she was bed bound - the arm is now in the bent position all the time. My mum screams with pain when she is being washed in the hand area and it is difficult for her carers to change her nightie as she screams when they are trying to put her arm in the sleeve etc.

Her GP has now prescribed butrans patches one every seven days at the lowest dose 5mg. However, this has stopped the pain in the hand but she is asleep more now, her dementia is worse - she seems to be more in a demented state than lucidity now - although I am not sure whether it is the patch causing this. She seems a bit more aggressive and is also hot a lot of the time (although it has been hot weather here in the south). Her appetite is not so good - she is still eating - but she did have a very good appetite before and her tremor in the other hand appears to be worse. Is this all to do with the patch? The palliative care nurse is coming to see us tomorrow - it is worth my mum staying on the patch or not. She has only been taking it for a month. Would it be a good idea to tell the nurse that I am not happy with the side effects? Please can you advise?

Tin

May 18, 2014
UK
I have no knowledge of these patches, but the side effects may only be temporary. Only advice I can give is to be completely open with the nurse, write down your concerns tonight and discuss all. I have found that sometimes nurses are more willing to discuss difficult things with family members. I can only imagine how upsetting this is for you. Hopefully tomorrow will bring you some clarity.

Aitchbee

Nov 3, 2013
Hello Missmouse. I have replied to your other post and only just read this one. It might be worth asking the palliative care nurse about hoisting - she may be able to advise you on whether it would be distressing for your Mum or not? My Mum also has very clenched hands which are very painful if touched. She now has palm protectors on to stop the nails digging into her palms. It is very difficult getting them on and cleaning her hands due to the pain. She has not been prescribed the patches or any pain relief for them. She does not seem to be in pain with them unless they are touched. A physio that used to see Mum said that the problem with her hand was due to the tendons in her hand shortening. Sorry I can't be of any help re the patches. People with Lewy Body do seem to be more susceptible to side effects from medication. Hopefully the nurse will be able to advise?

Bod

Aug 30, 2013
There are different makes/types of these "pain patches" it might be worth trying a different one, if the side effects are too much.
Also if the adhesive causes skin irritation, a change wil often cure.

Bod

Redbutterfly

Mar 8, 2015
West Sussex
Good morning, I am back on this wonderful forum after a long absence. We are at the point now that Mum needs to have 24 hr care. She is 94 and lives on her own and with mixed dementia. My life has been awful for past 3 years. I believe she is entering the advanced dementia stages. I can no longer go on myself. Mum has had 3 care visits a day from care agency and I visit every other day. She has mellowed and become compliant with care last few weeks, but there is hardly anything left of the Mum I knew. Anyway, to cut a long story short, the pain in her arthritic hip has become severe and she is missing her regular doses of painkillers - Cocodamol and paracetamol. Yesterday the GP visited and she has been prescribed BuTrans 5 mcg painkilling patches. I am really frightened about taking this step, with what the morphine will do to her. There are so many issues going on in the background, I have to stay calm. Her beloved cat seems to be ill and have to get her to vet. I am off today to look at another care home. We are self-funders so have a choice. The local home has a waiting list so I think we are looking at somewhere a distance away for the right place. I hope to update how these patches go etc. Feel like we're on the slippery slope now.

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
There is always a compromise to be had with pain relief. Side effects can make a person more sleepy and less aware but equally it can relieve the pain they are suffering. It is a case of finding the right balance with the fewest side effects. To me for my husband, pain relief won over sleepiness especially when he was unable to express his pain to the staff of the nursing home. I hated to see him suffering so much.