But oh those lonely nights .........

Scarlett123

Apr 30, 2013
Essex
More importantly, who is to care?!
So true! I had a surprise when I went to the GP. I was called in to check my blood pressure, which for yonks has been very high. The last time it was checked was 6 months ago, prior to my op, and I had to take extra tablets to bring it down to 160 over something, which was the upper limit for carrying out the op.

It's now down to 123 over 87!!!! The GP said she felt the big difference was due to not being a carer any longer, and had often found this, about 6 - 9 months after bereavement.

We have numerous bottles of spirits, all 20 - 30 years old, and I uncovered a bottle of Apple Brandy. I can't remember how we acquired this, and can only think we won it in a raffle. Anyway, I had a little slurp when I was low last weekend, and have had several other er um, slurps and it's lovely!

When I was slurping tonight (who needs a glass?), and eating my wrap on a paper towel (thank you Verity ;)), I congratulated myself on economising on washing up liquid! xxx

truth24

Oct 13, 2013
North Somerset
Think it was Saffie with the paper towel, Scarlett but am happy to take credit for it. Wow, that apple brandy must be well matured and potent. Enjoy. Good news about the BP. xxx

Scarlett123

Apr 30, 2013
Essex
Think it was Saffie with the paper towel, Scarlett but am happy to take credit for it. Wow, that apple brandy must be well matured and potent. Enjoy. Good news about the BP. xxx

Perhaps the apple brandy is responsible for lowering my blood pressure? ;)

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
Think it was Saffie with the paper towel, Scarlett but am happy to take credit for it.
You really don't want to be happy about that Verity - it's slovenly behaviour!
However, I no longer have any shame about cutting corners!:eek:
My younger self would have been appalled - but she's not here any more to care!!! ;)

Apple brandy, isn't that Calvados? Think I have some of that somewhere. Must see if I can find it!

Scarlett123

Apr 30, 2013
Essex
You really don't want to be happy about that Verity - it's slovenly behaviour!
However, I no longer have any shame about cutting corners!:eek:
My younger self would have been appalled - but she's not here any more to care!!! ;)

Apple brandy, isn't that Calvados? Think I have some of that somewhere. Must see if I can find it!

Yes, that's right, but it's described as "Apple Brandy, 18% vol". Is that potent, or non alcoholic? Not being a drinker, I don't know. But it's really smooth, and warming. ;)

Scarlett123

Apr 30, 2013
Essex
One of my ex-students is coming to me today and we're going out for lunch. I taught him over 20 years ago, and we've always kept in touch. When I am due to see him, I always say to others "seeing my toy boy"! :)

stanleypj

Dec 8, 2011
North West
It's often interesting to keep in touch with or to get back in touch with people you taught and seeing how their lives are going isn't it Scarlett? Of course there are also the occasional facebook requests to be a friend which are best ignored.:)

I caught up with quite a few ex-students when Friends Reunited was in its prime but then it was sold and was never the same again.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
I got a message on FB at the end of last week from a girl Bill had taught as a teaching head in the school where we both worked. He taught her in the last 3 years of primary. She saw my name on a list of people going to a Glamis Castle event which had been published on FB. She wanted me to tell him how much she appreciated what he had done for her. She said that he had instilled a love of learning in her. I had to message her back to thank her but tell her about Bill's dementia. I so wish Bill could have understood her message.

Yesterday we bumped into an ex parent of the school where I was head. He was desperate to show me a couture of his daughter (now 20) on his iPad. She is volunteering in an orphanage in Thailand.

It's so lovely to hear about what they're doing.

Sent from my iPad using Talking Point mobile app

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
How lovely Izzy! And even though Bill might not understand the message - you understand it, and I bet it was lovely to hear how he was appreciated and remembered.

I remember a few years ago, William had an email from a Coptic monk, asking about some of William's studies and research that he had done - and like you, I had to email back and explain. The man had apparently written some sort of treatise on something so high-brow I couldn't get what it was about, and used some of William's research in it - and was asking if that was alright, and if it was alright to publish it. I told him to go ahead. It turned out to be just self-published (or published by his monastery, not sure which), and he send William a copy. Something very obscure, but looked very intellectual. William would have loved the whole idea of the correspondence in his hey-day.

Scarlett123

Apr 30, 2013
Essex
Well I had a lovely day with my toyboy!:D He came just after 11am, and left at 11pm! He has followed a teaching career too, and always has said I inspired him, so I decided to give him all my worksheets, in lever arch files. and photos taken when I taught at his school.

He was delighted! He was especially pleased that I had the l-o-n-g photo of all the Year 11 students, and their form tutors and Head, when he was a one of the students, as apparently his copy had got damaged when there was a flood in his home. I thought it better to give him the items now, because when I'm gone, I sure my family would just "dispose" of all this stuff.

A lovely day, and I'm off to Yorkshire, via train, this week, for 5 days, to stay with friends. :)

Scarlett123

Apr 30, 2013
Essex
This damned grief is a nuisance! I wish it didn't engulf me, randomly, with no warning. I was doing fine today, happy about the lovely lunches I have had in the last week, and looking forward to my Yorkshire trip.

And then I caught a news item, something to do with Northern Ireland, and a man, who lived there, was speaking. John was stationed there, in the early 1960s, and, pre AD, whenever he heard the words "Northern Ireland", he always said, in a most dreadful accent, "have you got a light there, Sammy", which apparently was something he overheard a man saying in a pub!!!!

An absolute "nothing" thing, but as soon as I heard that accent, the tears flowed. Took Billy out, and managed to get back to "normal", but it's amazing how random these things are. Have others found this too? A word, an aroma, a completely non-associated thing can bring that grief back?

chick1962

Apr 3, 2014
near Folkestone
This damned grief is a nuisance! I wish it didn't engulf me, randomly, with no warning. I was doing fine today, happy about the lovely lunches I have had in the last week, and looking forward to my Yorkshire trip.

And then I caught a news item, something to do with Northern Ireland, and a man, who lived there, was speaking. John was stationed there, in the early 1960s, and, pre AD, whenever he heard the words "Northern Ireland", he always said, in a most dreadful accent, "have you got a light there, Sammy", which apparently was something he overheard a man saying in a pub!!!!

An absolute "nothing" thing, but as soon as I heard that accent, the tears flowed. Took Billy out, and managed to get back to "normal", but it's amazing how random these things are. Have others found this too? A word, an aroma, a completely non-associated thing can bring that grief back?

I am so sorry Scarlett like Cat I haven't really got an answer but I think it's good to let it all out sometimes , even if the grief is unbearable painful at times . Sending love and hugs your way xxxxxx

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point