Burps and hiccups

JosieEm

Aug 14, 2015
For the last couple of months my husband has been burping (particularly) with the odd related hiccup at all times of day or night, regardless of whether he has eaten or not. I mentioned it to the doctor on a visit, but he didn't seem to attach any importance to it.

Could this be a dementia-related symptom to do with growing difficulty in digesting? Which is why the doctor didn't pursue? But didn't clarify? It continues apace.

Has anyone experienced this?

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
Hi JosieM
I really don't know if this is related but I did notice that my dad would burp a lot when he was constipated. I didn't link the 2 for ages (haven't had children so had no real experience of 'health' issues except my own until I started caring for dad).
Unfortunately he did get utterly blocked and had overflow so went into hospital to be sorted out - and he was fine then. Since then, of course, I was more aware and he was prescribed lactulose with senna when required.
I can't say that this is what is affecting your husband - if you think it may be, I don't suppose a dose of senna will do any harm - maybe worth checking with the GP?
Best wishes

JosieEm

Aug 14, 2015
Hi JosieM
I really don't know if this is related but I did notice that my dad would burp a lot when he was constipated. I didn't link the 2 for ages (haven't had children so had no real experience of 'health' issues except my own until I started caring for dad).
Unfortunately he did get utterly blocked and had overflow so went into hospital to be sorted out - and he was fine then. Since then, of course, I was more aware and he was prescribed lactulose with senna when required.
I can't say that this is what is affecting your husband - if you think it may be, I don't suppose a dose of senna will do any harm - maybe worth checking with the GP?
Best wishes

Thanks for responding, Shedrech. Actually, the opposite is the case - he poos very frequently, sometimes twice a day! Perhaps I should have mentioned that! We have an appointment with his doctor tomorrow (Friday). I just thought it might be good to get one jump ahead!

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
My mum used to do that and it was acid reflux due to a hiatus hernia. My husband has the same thing but it makes him cough. Mum was and my husband is on omeprazole for it.

AlsoConfused

Sep 17, 2010
Mum did a lot of hiccupping (don't know whether she still does) from about midpoint in her AD.

I think I've seen some information somewhere that relates greater frequency of hiccupping to AD but can't now remember the source of that information.

Bear44

Sep 28, 2015
USA
I've noticed my father burps all the time now. I'm assuming that he is swallowing more air when he drinks.

JosieEm

Aug 14, 2015
My mum used to do that and it was acid reflux due to a hiatus hernia. My husband has the same thing but it makes him cough. Mum was and my husband is on omeprazole for it.

Yes, the doctor has prescribed omeprazole 20mg too. Only thinks it might be acid in the top of the bowel. After just over a week it seems to have helped, but not got rid of it entirely. Will have to report back to GP to find out whether we continue beyond the month he prescribed it for.

Thanks to all for your responses.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sarah R