Bullies

zan

Jan 4, 2006
staffordshire
This thread has nothing to do with A.D but may have alot to do with testing whether red wine prevents A.D.
I have a problem at home with bullies - not people , but hamsters. We have 3 Chinese male hamsters. Chinese hamsters are supposed to be happy living together. Our three are called Bruce, Lee and Jack. Bruce is mouse coloured, Lee and Jack are pale stripy. They have a three floored house with plenty of little house shaped bits to make their nests in. Bruce tends to sllep on the ground floor , Lee and jack on the top floor. Bruce is the best looking and if he was the only hamster we had I would love him, but he is being nasty to the others and is making me mad with him. If you have Chinese hamsters you will know that although the males have lovely sweet faces their other ends are not so pretty and are very enlarged. Jack keeps attacking Lee or Jack (we can't tell who is who) and sinking his teeth into this large region. Acouple of days ago I saw him doing this . He just wouldn't let go even when I threatened him with a spell outside with the birds. His victim was literally bleeding onto his sawdust and struggling to walk the next day. I think our Bruce has a serious problem. He could be very jealous. Should I carry out my threat? Should I get another cage for him - he could then be lonely? or should I let them cope on their own? Any advice welcome. Zan

Lynne

Jun 3, 2005
Suffolk,England
Perhaps it is the generously endowed rear views which need attention! Vets often recommend that aggressive dogs are castrated to calm them down, how about your 'boys'? (Take veterinary advice, of course, not just my say-so)

Sheila

Oct 23, 2003
West Sussex
Hi Zan, IMHO, they have reached the age of sexual maturity. If Bruce is on his own, he may feel he has much to prove as regards his status within the cage. I know our own European hamsters only ever met happily when it was to mate!! My son had a boy and my daughter a girl!! We had a few "meetings" in the hall which later meant I had to find homes for baby hamsters!! If your boys feel they are competing in this way, in case a lady should one day appear, it will be the one with the "nuts" who will pass on his genes, think they are trying to pull rank!! I would seperate Bruce from the other two before you end up with a mighty vet bill or a dead hamster I think. They will of course need much interaction with you and other family members to ensure they are not lonely. Jude, can't drink red as you know, so am keeping up the white, hope that is OK? Lotsaluv, She. XX

Norman

Oct 9, 2003
Birmingham Hades
Made my eyes water to read this post.
My elder Son had a randy Doberman and the only cure was to de-nut him.
It worked up to a point but even then he seemed to like certain peoples legs.
Sounds to me as Bruce is trying prove his high rank as a male.
Norman

Amy

Jan 4, 2006
Maybe all posts on this thread should refer to Bruce (the hamster), as if you simply read the last thread posted, it is open to misinterpretation!
Sounds to me as Bruce is trying prove his high rank as a male.
Amy

Dearth

May 27, 2005
Wigan
www.freewebs.com
Norman said:
My elder Son had a randy Doberman and the only cure was to de-nut him.

:D What a way with words you have there Norman - what is he - a bleedin' walnut?

:D

A neighbour of ours told me that her dog had been 'spaded' - I assume she meant speyed... but around here you can never be too sure, so I'll keep an open mind!

N.

zan

Jan 4, 2006
staffordshire
Just thought I'd let you know that we now have a new cage. Bruce has stayed in the old one while we see if the two stripies get on OK.The new cage is one with lots of smooth tubes to climb through. So far they havn't managed to climb up and I wonder if Chinese hamsters are too small. Might swap them with Bruce, as the dominant male he may have a more adventurous spirit.

If this talk of problems with hamsters seems very trivial I apologize. My Dad came out of hospital to stay with us on Thursday. I get him dressed, but apart from eating he just sleeps. I don't know if it is the AD, depression or if the end, due to the cancer, is nearer than I thought.

After only 4 days I feel trapped, and inevitably feel guilty for feeling that way.

Talking about something like the hamsters is easier than talking about the illness!

Brucie - sorry if there was any confusion about yourself and my Bruce. If it is any consolation, he is a very handsome specimen!

Zan

connie

Mar 7, 2004
Frinton-on-Sea
Post away Zan, anything to make life more bearable.
We had a hampster, many years ago, and reveived him once with brandy, watered down, administered via an eve dropper.

Sort of 'kiss of life' really. Having met our Bruce, can I be first to voluteer for any further duties. He is also a very handsome specimin.

(With apologies to Nina).........Connie

Brucie

Jan 31, 2004
near London
Connie, "He is also a very handsome specimin" I believe they can do great things with spectacles and contact lenses these days. ... Ha!

Only one piece of advice ... go for the hamster! [Nina would probably agree ;) ]

Sheila

Oct 23, 2003
West Sussex
Dear Zan, your hamster problems are not rivial at all. They are something else that you have to deal with in an already difficult time frame. So glad the problem has been resolved by separating them.
The feeling of being trapped is not uncommon, I had it too sometimes. It felt like the whole world was moving so fast and I couldn't stop the treadmill I seemed to be stuck on, the more I tried, the faster it went. I got so very tired, but I couldn't bail out as who would look after Mum if I did, so I just tried to delegate some of the things to outside help in the end, someone to help with getting Mum up, to bed, and to bath her on a Saturday. I still had the 24/7 bit, but just knowing there was someone coming in for a half hour or so really made a difference some days. Can you get any help like that? If your Dad has terminal cancer as well as dementia, you shold be entitled I would have thought. Love She. XX