Building a social network

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
Over the last two years we have gone to many groups and events held by Alzheimers Scotland. In the first year John was so active and still " with it " so I did not put him on the waiting list for day centre. This year he badly needed more company than I could give and I desperately needed a break.

Today was his first day of "school" and I checked he had enough money for his lunch and anything else which turned up. Made sure he was clean, warm and smart and then waited for the minibus with some nervousness.

The driver and both helpers came out to greet him and introduce themselves and the man on the front row was delighted to see him. Possibly from one of our Alz groups. He went off happily without a backward glance.

Success:D;)

BeckyJan

Nov 28, 2005
Derbyshire
That is so good to hear and what a relief for you. Hope you are able to fill the time with things you really want to do.

It will be interesting to hear how John's day has gone so that hopefully he looks forward to the next one.

esmeralda

Nov 27, 2014
Devon
Sounds like it was a big step for both of you Marion. Hope that it all goes well and John settles down, I suppose it might take him a few visits until he's really settled. It takes Nick ages to get his head around any changes. Good tip to put Nick's name down now even if he doesn't need it right away. Scarlett always advises to do that.
I hope that you have a good day too!
Es
x

Chuggalug

Mar 24, 2014
Norfolk
RESULT!

I'm so glad for you, Marionq. May your hubby find the day completely to his liking :) And for you? Well, a little bit of peace and quiet, I reckon, wouldn't do any harm, xx

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
Used my day to take SIL to her housing office to sort out an admin issue then sent her off as she is such a cheapskate and I intended to spend some money on myself. Bought the nicest dressy top I have seen in ages and a bouquet of flowers. Took myself and my ipad out for lunch and decided to check the premium bond draw today.

Tara! I won £500. The biggest I have ever had.

Now I just have to hear from John when he comes home that all went well and we will celebrate.

lin1

Jan 14, 2010
East Kent
Congratulations What a lovely surprise for you .
Sounds like u have had a really nice day too .

I often used my free time to go to Herne Bay , sitting near the seafront or in the old bandstand people watching interspersed with some edibles both liquid and solid lol.

I hope John has enjoyed himself

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
So John is home now. Had a good day and a lunch of soup and pork chop according to him.. Did lots of things - unspecified! Many people knew him!

Don't know if any of this is true but he is going back next week so it must have been good.

chick1962

Apr 3, 2014
near Folkestone
Congratulations What a lovely surprise for you .
Sounds like u have had a really nice day too .

I often used my free time to go to Herne Bay , sitting near the seafront or in the old bandstand people watching interspersed with some edibles both liquid and solid lol.

I hope John has enjoyed himself

Herne Bay is beautiful :) we go quite often ourselves! They do lovely seafood lunches too

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
That's good news Marion. Bill enjoys his day at our Alz Scot day centre. We're very lucky to have these resources. Enjoy your new 'me ' time! :)

Chuggalug

Mar 24, 2014
Norfolk
Used my day to take SIL to her housing office to sort out an admin issue then sent her off as she is such a cheapskate and I intended to spend some money on myself. Bought the nicest dressy top I have seen in ages and a bouquet of flowers. Took myself and my ipad out for lunch and decided to check the premium bond draw today.

Tara! I won £500. The biggest I have ever had.

Now I just have to hear from John when he comes home that all went well and we will celebrate.

Ha! Didja iPad enjoy itself? Hahahahaha. Made I laugh, that did.

I so love this forum.

500 QUID? Nice one gal :)

lin1

Jan 14, 2010
East Kent
What a result

I'm glad John enjoyed himself and that he is going back next week.
Sorry don't know how those sad and confused smilies got in there .

Last edited:

lin1

Jan 14, 2010
East Kent
So true :) didn't realised you live just round the corner xx

:). If you should see a middle aged fat woman in black leggings :eek: , a longish colourful top and crocs on her feet , it is probably me

chick1962

Apr 3, 2014
near Folkestone
That made me giggle ! Well I am a Middle Aged fat woman with curly and not straightened hair prob in leggings too but with craters under her eyes and boots on !!! So do look out as we could have a cuppa :) and compare notes about Herne Bay and St. Mary's bay ;) x