brushing teeth

karen.b

Jul 10, 2015
my newest problem is getting my husband to brush his teeth. wont put it anywhere near his mouth and wont let me help him,( up to now I've help him brush his teeth).I've tried different toothpaste children's toothpaste . tried an electric toothbrush nothing successful, he even broke the toothbrush in half out of frustration.. I'm scared that i will now have to cope with dental problems.Its hard enough coping with the daily behavior problems. Anyone had the same problem and managed to solve it. I'm open for ideas.

MerryWive

Mar 20, 2015
Have you tried both doing it together? Might he be willing to mimic you?

It is a very difficult problem, I agree, my MIL is not up to fighting but we have to coax her everytime.

Another thing maybe worth mentioning, we had some super strong toothpaste prescribed by the community dentist team. (Don't know if that's a good thing, but it had lots of fluoride in it I think). Perhaps worth speaking to your GP in case they can refer you to a local service?

stanleypj

Dec 8, 2011
North West
No real advice I'm afraid but I just wanted to empathise. You're doing the right thing in carrying on trying - as you say, dental problems would be an added burden.

Could you, as far as possible, adapt his diet so that he has fewer things that might cause dental problems? Maybe you're doing that already.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
My advice from the dentist was to try and get some of the toothpaste at the tooth gum interface, this is to protect against gingivitis as most, if not all, toothpastes include some form of bactericide. Never rinse the mouth out as all this does is to remove any bactericide

Additional brushing vertically along the teeth to remove inter dentine plaque is advantageous if you can manage it.

karen.b

Jul 10, 2015
No real advice I'm afraid but I just wanted to empathise. You're doing the right thing in carrying on trying - as you say, dental problems would be an added burden.

Could you, as far as possible, adapt his diet so that he has fewer things that might cause dental problems? Maybe you're doing that already.

That's a hard one... He never ate sweet things up till the time he became ill, now he wont even drink water without putting juice in it. Before,i was the one that had a sweet tooth, he was a savory guy...

karen.b

Jul 10, 2015
My advice from the dentist was to try and get some of the toothpaste at the tooth gum interface, this is to protect against gingivitis as most, if not all, toothpastes include some form of bactericide. Never rinse the mouth out as all this does is to remove any bactericide

Additional brushing vertically along the teeth to remove inter dentine plaque is advantageous if you can manage it.

Thanks ..Ill try that.