1. Orientate

Orientate Registered User

Apr 20, 2011
    farnborough
    In the early days I had this problem and when speaking to the dentist he told me not to worry as the normal process of eating helps to clean the teeth especially if the person can eat 'normal' food. I can now clean my wife's teeth and was recommended to use Duraphat 5000 which can only be obtained from a dentist as it has a high Flouride content.

2. Phythiag

Phythiag New member

May 30, 2019
    Female
    Telford
    I bought an electric toothbrush for my Husband and it has bluetooth. A small device is fitted to the bathroom wall, and gives a smiley face if you clean your teeth for 2.5 minutes. It also means I can check if he has cleaned his teeth

3. John13

John13 New member

Oct 19, 2019
    My wife & I have the same problem; my Mother, who has really nice teeth, and was fastidious in keeping them in first class order, now doesn't clean them ant tartar has built up. What shall we do?

4. Nutty Nan

Nutty Nan Registered User

Nov 2, 2003
    Buckinghamshire
    John, if she can manage a trip to the hygienist, that would be your best solution. If that is out of the question, you may be able to assist at home, but that depends a little on her co-operation or at least acceptance.
    I bought some dental tools (available from high street chemists or on-line) plus a finger guard, and I managed a weekly 'deep clean' to make up for the fact that the daily brushing had become a bit hit and miss.
    Good luck!

5. Juba

Juba Registered User

Jul 27, 2019
    Yep - taking meds seems to be getting more of an issue for us also. I'm very reticent to try and disguise in food as he was so angry and upset when I'd given them in a teaspoon of yoghurt - a few months ago now. I had told him they were there and the yoghurt would hopefully help make them taste better but of course, he hadn't registered that and spat it all out and then thought I was trying to poison him.... That was a while ago but it makes me very nervy about the food and meds route. Someone with dementia did tell me that some of the tablets taste really bad - not sure which ones? You would think that the taste issue could be resolved in labs etc. nowadays???