Bruce on TV

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Thank you for that. It`s always helpful to raise awareness of items relating to Alzheimers and Dementia.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
I heard the radio broadcast but am hesitant to watch for it on TV. My husband would be with me and I feel there might be just too much information for him. Does anyone else feel the same?
Sylvia x

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Bruce, I've just listened to your radio 4 interview, and watched the BBC News report. Thank you so much for that, it was the most moving thing I've seen or heard for a long time. Strangely, I found the radio interview the more moving, possibly because the TV report focussed more on the financial aspects.

But they were both excellent, and your personal story makes it so poignant. There was a warning before the news item that some people might find it distressing, but I think 'moving' would have been a better description. The love you showed for Jan took the 'distress' out of the situation.

Well done to all concerned.

mandyp

Oct 20, 2004
Glasgow
Hi

I have only one criticism (which won't include Bruce as Jan is a young person with Dementia).

The BBC site highlights people over 65 and 80. MSN mentions it being a disease that affects the elderly:

http://news.uk.msn.com/Article.aspx?cp-documentid=3513408

It would have been nice if they'd also mentioned the younger people who can also get it. That can highlight that residential care etc may not be available because the sufferer isn't old enough.

I sometimes wonder if there's too much emphasis on this being a disease that affects the elderly. I wonder if people are less compassionate about elderly people, just seeing it as something else failing as you get older. To be honest I think that's a sad reflection on today's society.

I don't want anyone to think that I don't think the publicity is good, I certainly do. Lets hope that someone will sit up and take notice

Mandy

Sweet Pea

Dec 20, 2006
North Yorkshire
BBC coverage

Hello Bruce

Hazel has said it all, so well. I just caught the end of the BBC coverage this morning and was so pleased with the manner in which Alzheimer's was portrayed, with sympathy, concern...and loads of love...very well done Bruce, and thank you!

Keep up the good work

Love Sweet Pea x

Nebiroth

Aug 20, 2006
I've found that a number of news articles in various places have stated that dementia is "a disease of the elderly". This is, of course, entirely incorrect. There are many type of dementia, and even Alzheimers can only be described as predominantly a disease of the elderly.

What was really depressing is the BBC's own Talking Point forum. The display of ignorance is possibly forgivable, but some readers have actually made jokes about the subject.

I see that the Daily Mail's font page highlighted the outrageous NICE decision, which is a good thing, as is their "£2.50 a Day" campaign.

Brucie

Jan 31, 2004
near London
mandyp said:
I have only one criticism (which won't include Bruce as Jan is a young person with Dementia).

The BBC site highlights people over 65 and 80.

Oh, I so agree with you. The AS funded report on which all the publicity is based minimises to the point of almost disappearing the young person aspect. I believe the interpretation and presentation are flawed, for the following reasons:

The report looks at the number of people who have Young Onset dementia today, and it extrapolates by means of a sort of poll for the years to come.

So, in effect - it seems to me and I am not an 'expert' though I do know what I have seen in the wide world - the report only covers the number of Young Onset people who are still below the age of 65 that appear each time they measure.

For instance, Jan was aged 50 when she started her symptoms, so would then be measured as a Young person.

If she were measured now, when she is 66, she would be measured as an old person with dementia.

I believe the Young onset people should be measured as such until the end, otherwise, the figures will only represent the NEW [mostly] people diagnosed.

I stand ready to be corrected but that is my belief. Hope this makes some sense... to someone..

For my part, I plugged the young aspect at the conference today and that produced huge reaction!

susie

Nov 30, 2003
shropshire
Well done Bruce for having the courage to allow Jan to be filmed. It shows the world the side of dementia that many people don't see. I've followed your story over the years on TP and it is wonderful to see how caring you are with Jan. After today's conference about the cost of caring for dementia and the future predicted surge in cases, perhaps the powers that be will take note. We must all keep bringing dementia up to the same publicity level as cancer and heart disease.
I admire you both and I hope I can be as caring with my husband.
Regards
Susie

BeckyJan

Nov 28, 2005
Derbyshire
Thank you Bruce, I am full of admiration for you and grateful for you and Jan bringing this into the public eye. It is so emotional to see you both together and it makes me feel much more resolved and determined to give my David the very best I can give. Very best wishes Beckyjan

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
The daughter of a friend had cancer when she was 12. Fortunately she recovered, but now aged 43, she still attends the `Children`s Clinic` for an annual check up.
Like cancer, dementia and all other life threatening illnesses should be charted from onset, for accurate statistics.

cynron

Sep 26, 2005
east sussex
Well Done Bruce

I can only second what everone else has said. The coverage of the filming was good i saw it about 4 times,and i must say Bruce i felt that i knew you because i have followed your posts on this site.

Love Cynron x x

connie

Mar 7, 2004
Frinton-on-Sea
I can only add my voice to those who have already posted.

I was fortunate enough to see Bruce in action today at the conference.
Brilliant presentation of his life with Jan and her journey into dementia.

Home this evening and rewatched all the news bulletins that I had recorded during my absence. Once again, just struck by his care and devotion.

Carolann

Apr 19, 2006
Nottinghamshire
I can only echo the thoughts of those who have already posted.

I have just seen Bruce and Jan on the 10 o.clock news. Well done Bruce for highligting the case of Dementia sufferers and their carers.

I have to admit it really touched me and I shed a few tears - I lost my Mum to Dementia - she died 4 months ago.

Well done Bruce,
Carolann

Tender Face

Account Closed
Mar 14, 2006
NW England
Bruce, I have only managed to catch a snippet of what you have achieved today .....

Bravo for your great courage and selflessness....

With love and thanks, Karen, x

May

Oct 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Thank you Bruce, I too only caught a snippet of today's coverage on the Ten o'clock news, your love and care shine through

CraigC

Mar 21, 2003
London
Well done Bruce and Jan. It was just fantastic seeing you on the TV and some really decent coverage about dementia on prime time TV. News 24 also showed a lot of footage of Bruce sparking some interesting debate.

thanks
Craig