Brother has Registered LPA without my knowledge

FyldeCoast

Nov 11, 2018
My retired parents to Blackpool in 2004. I lived in Oxford.
In 2015 my 82 year old father died.
In May 2016 my 50 year old sister also died.
It soon became apparent to me that my mother wasn't handling life too well.
She was exhibiting all the early signs of the onset of Dementia.
Moving her closer to me in Oxford wasn't financially possible, so I realised all of my assets and bought a house in Blackpool, one that had a large downstairs room that could be adapted as a bedroom for her should the day come that she couldn't manage any longer living independently. I would be in the same town as her and she would be 30 miles from her only surviving sibling (her younger sister) in Blackburn.
What I didn't know was that in August 2016 my brother had taken our mother to a solicitor to get her will changed. My sister was the executor but with her passing my mother's will needed changing.
As well as changing her will my brother also persuaded my mother to sign two LPAs, one for Property and Finances and one for Care and Welfare.
In January 2017 a for sale sign appeared outside my mother's house.
I asked her what was going on. She told me that my brother had arranged for the sign so that they could check out house prices. I asked why she would want to do that. She told me that she was thinking of moving closer to my brother in Middlesex.
I tried to explain the implications of what such a more would bring about and that I had moved lock stock and barrel to Blackpool to support her, plus more importantly she just didn't have sufficient assets to complete such a move.
No matter what I said things gathered momentum and in April 2017 "she" sold her house at less than is was purchased for over 12 years previously.
"She" bought a house in Middlesex for £325,000, which after taking into account, stamp duty, conveyancing fees, removal expenses etc. and her realisable assets, she was about £70,000 short.
When I asked about this, I was told that my brother was making up the difference.
Consequently the house would be purchased in joint names.
I said that if it were purchased in joint names it would attract an extra £18,000 in second home duty as my brother already had a home of his own. The house purchase went ahead with the purchase being made in her sole name. I checked the land registry and her name alone is on the deeds and there is no other interest registered.
I now have to do a 250 mile round trip to visit my mother.
She isn't happy. She is very isolated and depends on my brother for everything.
The signs of dementia continued and an MRI scan revealed that she had a collapsed carotid artery which reduced the supply of blood to her brain. She had a stent inserted and pretty quickly returned to her normal self.
She started to find paperwork in her files that she thought that she had never seen before among which was a notification for a Power of Attorney in favour of my brother.
We discussed this and she told me that she would never agree to handing over control like that, she said that all she signed was will related paperwork.
I said that she could execute a Deed or Revocation and take back control but she said that my brother shouts enough already and that she didn't want to upset him. I printed that Deed out and gave it to her asking her to seriously think about her situation. I said that I was going to contact the issuing solicitor as I wanted to know exactly how the LPA came to be issued. Had a Mental Capability Assessment been carried out etc. I did contact the solicitor but he refused to doscuss any details with me as I wasn't his client.
A couple of days later I spoke to my mother on the telephone and the first thing that she she said was that there was no need to contact the solicitor as it was all sorted. I asked what she meant and she told me that my brother had come round with a form to sign that stated that she fully understood what she was doing when she signed the LPA. I asked her to explain exactly what was said as I am concerned that she is being threatened and intimidated by my brother. As she was starting toexplain, my brother came into her house and took the phone from her and started shouting at me. He told me that "the LPA was legal and had been through the Courts " and that I could do nothing about it. During the following conversation on the phone with me he became increasingly agitated and said "I know where you live and if you don't back off I am going to drive up there and do you in". He also told me that I was no longer to come to vivit my mother and if I did I "would have him to deal with". He explained that he had "a significant investment" in my mother's property and that he could say who could and could not see my mother. He also said that my only motivation was for me to "line my pockets". A few more death threats followed and he hung up on me.
I reported the matter to the Police with the predictable non-interventionist results.
I reported my concerns to the Social Services in the area where my mother lives and I reported the misuse of the LPA to the Office of the Public Guardian.
My brother (the Attorney) set up a joint bank account which has my mother's pensions going into it plus moving our mother away from friends and family incurring a £70,000 debt to him in the process doesn't seem to me to have been in our mother's best interest.
Now here comes the question.
Is there a process where I can retrospectively oppose the registration of the LPA because I feel that it was obtained by intimidation and coercion?

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
hello @FyldeCoast
a warm welcome to TP
the situation you describe is just awful and so sad for your mother and you
here's a link to the OPG's website which may be helpful
https://www.gov.uk/report-concern-about-attorney-deputy
if you happen to call your brother again you may just happen to also have your mobile's voicerecorder on ....
your situation is pretty complicated and you may gain more useful info by having a chat with one of the folk on the AS helpline as they have a lot of knowledge and contacts
https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/get-support/national-dementia-helpline

love.dad.but..

Jan 16, 2014
Kent
Your post is so worrying and sad at the same time. Your brother sounds an intimidating bully and I hope the helpline can give you useful advice. It must be so difficult and upsetting to witness what has been happening these last few years With poa for dad If I even got myself a newpaper whilst buying things for dad I paid him back the 65p instantly I wouldn't dream of taking advantage of my dad sadly there are some that use having poa finance as a way of control and abuse. If your mum had mental capacity to make such decisions as you described then that is her right but it is shocking that there seems to be no safeguards against coercion or intimidation if that has taken place as part of those decisions and your frustration and upset for your mum is totally understandable.

witts1973

Jun 20, 2018
Leamington Spa
Besides being a nasty piece of work,it seems rather odd that he himself has asked your mother to sign a piece of paper saying that she fully understood what she was doing when she signed the LPA,this would have been a part of signing the paperwork at the solicitors when the LPA was created,it sounds as if he is trying to cover something up,well that's what I grasp from what you have said.I wonder if you could contact the Law Society with regards to the LPA and how it was created or is the Office of the public Guardian the only people that you can seek advice from.

Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Moniqueishere