Brother has carer stress but blames me

50AMPfused

May 10, 2013
West Yorks
Hello. I've been a TP member for a while now and been able to glean lots of information and advice through reading various links over the years.

But I now find myself needing some reassurance/guidance about the care for my mum and how best to deal with the situation with my brother who is mum's main carer. To sum it up, I believe he thinks I should feel as committed? trapped? desperate? as he does living with mum as he has done for the last 2.5 years. And as her condition worsens mainly around her being awake half the night, he's projecting his aggressive outbursts of anger onto me that I don't do enough; not there enough; don't care enough etc, etc. I've made it clear that this attitude and behaviour towards me is upsetting and causing me stress and anxiety. We have 2 other siblings who do nothing.

I think he wants me to 'admit' I've withdrawn help rather than him facing up to the fact that he doesn't want/can't do this anymore. I have emotionally had to 'put it down' while trying to deal with my own life as a woman in her 50s trying to raise my 2 children on my own; contending with the menopause; and now trying to find another job to support myself for the next 12 years til I can retire. After 10 years as a carer in one form or another looking after my mum before my brother was around, both my in-laws with dementia, all this while my husband was dying from cancer, I've done my share of caring, and I would never have offered to do what he is doing. I still visit, do sitting, shopping, showering and made it clear he only has to ask if he needs me to do anything else. But I would rather be the daughter who visits for quality time not the additional carer. I've offered him weekends away on his own, sleep-over sitting, time out for his own interests (which he has taken up again with paid carers in), but he still keeps having a go at me - I try to remind myself it's out of exhaustion and frustration that he understandably just wants to get on with his life (he's in his 50s), but I worry for his mental health.

When they initially began living together (at his suggestion) he was quite open that he expected to be doing it for 18 months. I've made it clear to him that he doesn't have to do it anymore, that he can leave, or that paid carers could take his place around the clock. But I really do believe as do the managers I've spoken with at her respite home, that mum should go into full time care where there would be other people around, activities and more stimulation for her. Mum has a care package through social services and I've asked for a few more weeks additional respite allowance to be added to her CP to give him more breaks but looks as though they want to do a whole review of mental capacity and assessment during respite. I believe they are actually thinking she should be in F/T care too.

I guess things will take their course but in the meantime how do I deal with the unpredictability of the verbal attacks towards me whilst trying to visit mum, and co-operate together to care for her? Sorry for the ranting :/

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
Hello @50AMPfused and welcome to the forum.

Your situation is difficult but I can’t help feeling that the best thing to do is to take a step back for a while during the period that the new CP is worked on. After all, when situations get heated it’s often best to walk away.

I hope others who have had to deal with situations such as this will be along to give you the benefit of their experiences.

50AMPfused

May 10, 2013
West Yorks
Indeed, I don't want to fan the flames and I've been trying to bite my tongue because I empathise with his situation. But I don't want it to make me ill either. Thanks kP.

silversea2020

May 12, 2019
I think I would just quietly step back as it sounds like SS are gearing up for revising the CP and things may just change. You’ve got to look after yourself & I’d make myself unavailable for a while...it’s all very well your brother unleashing his temper/anger/upset but you’ve had a bad time too and it’s not fair that he behaves in this way towards you even though you have shown him great empathy and offers of help. I do understand though that he is struggling.

Jaded'n'faded

Jan 23, 2019
High Peak
It sounds like your brother is nearing carer breakdown. You said he was prepared for 18 months, this has gone on much longer. Perhaps now is the right time for your mum to move to full time care.

It's unfortunate he's lashing out at you, but I bet it's because you are the only person who really understands what it's like. Please see it as a cry for help.

Palerider

Aug 9, 2015
North West
I was wondering also if he is finding it difficult to grieve for what is inevitable. Sounds like he's stuck and unable to move on to acceptance of the situation.

You can only do what you can do, being an emotional punch bag isn't fair on you and it sounds like you have done as much as you can. Difficult to try reassure someone when they feel anger and blame. Perhaps as others have said time out and see how things go?

Sirena

Feb 27, 2018
It does sound as if the time has come for your mother to move to a care home. Have you discussed the possibility with your brother? It could be that he would find it difficult to take that decision, it is easy to get stuck in a rut and not be able to see the wood for the trees.

Would your brother have a logistical reason for resisting her moving into a care home? The house would presumably have to be sold, does he have somewhere else to live?

brambles

Sep 22, 2014
NW England
@50AMPfused
Your post resonated with me for so many reasons. I really feel for you.
My own similar situation resolved last summer, when, after a fall, I had to move in with mum, temporarily to help my brother look after her . It soon became obvious that we were unable to cope and we found a lovely care home for mum, where she has settled surprisingly well.
Mums house is on the market now (fortunately my brother has his own house) but relations with him are still not good.
We still communicate, but really only about mum. I am sure that in time things will get better between us.
I was lucky, in that I was older than you, and retired. Please dont be bullied into doing more than you feel able to. I think your brother is probably exhausted (as was mine) but none of us need to put up with aggresive behaviour.

brambles x

50AMPfused

May 10, 2013
West Yorks
Thank you all for your supporting words and viewpoints.
I do wonder if he'll be relieved if SS advise F/T care - I know that I will be if they do. Mum might even get more contact from the other 2 siblings if they know they don't have to do anything practical, only visit.
He's away now on a 2 week break which I hope allows him some head-clearing and pragmatic thinking.
Since his first lash-out at me 4 months ago, he's been doing maintenance on the rented property where they live together (it's not owned by either of them), tidying it up and clearing out the garage etc., all things you would do in preparation for moving on. So he's either got a definite plan in mind to move out and preparing/hoping(?) for the inevitable while grieving for that outcome (as you suggest Palerider).
I wonder if by projecting on to me that due to my lack of 'everything', subconsciously he has to do that in order to reconcile to himself that he had no choice in having to end the carer role, because he can't come out and say I don't want to live like this anymore.