Brother Asking If I Ever Came Across An Account For My Nephews

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
Hello Everyone.

My brother has asked a few times whether I have ever come across an account for my nephews when dealing with dad's finances. My parents wanted to set up an account for the boys but arguments, illness and death got in the way. I believe there was an account for my nephews but I never saw their names on any documents and of course accounts were closed or amalgamated to pay for dad's care. I honestly don't know where I get the strength from! Not all of dad's savings were used up and my other brother believes that everything should be divided equally according to the will.

MaNaAk

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
I forgot to say that my brother thought that my response to his email was I sensitive. This from someone who said he didn't want to know about my feelings concerning the house!

MaNaAk

Hotdoggy

Feb 5, 2020
Well I suppose if he thought there was a bank account & as a beneficiary he may well ask! I’m sure everything will be sorted equally & he’ll have to make do with an explanation of what probably happened to monies ... if it’s gone, it’s gone!!

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
If he knew there was an account for the children and their names weren't on it then he should chased it up a lot earlier and informed me about it.

MaNaAk

Hotdoggy

Feb 5, 2020
If he knew there was an account for the children and their names weren't on it then he should chased it up a lot earlier and informed me about it.

MaNaAk

I’m a bit flummoxed...Who had sight of all relevant financial paperwork/bank books etc?

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
I had POA but I never found an account with my nephews names on it. I spoke to my brothers about Power Of Attorney and like many things it was left to me. Mum and dad spoke of opening an account for the boys but after an argument my brother didn't speak to her for a few weeks and this was not long before she passed away in 2008. Dad then said he would like to leave money for the boys but there was never any paperwork with their names and I believe that if there was an account where dad wanted to give money to the boys it was used to pay for his care. Of course I was in charge of everything but my brother should have brought this up with dad after mum's death and before he became ill.

Bye for now

MaNaAk

Banjomansmate

Jan 13, 2019
Dorset
Well, if he thinks his boys should have something he can give them some from his inheritance once it is all sorted!
I’m not certain but I think minors would have to have their parent’s/guardian’s name on the account so if he doesn’t know about it there probably isn’t one.

Banjomansmate

Jan 13, 2019
Dorset
The same thing happened with my in-laws, at one point they were talking about setting up an/accounts for their four grandchildren but we never heard anything about that after they both died and the estate was split 50/50 between their sons.

AliceA

May 27, 2016
Wishes are not legal, wills are. This stresses the importance to us all to get paperwork in good order while we are well.
Sounds like your brother is clutching at straws. Look afteryourself, you cared so well.

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
Thankyou both of you. Of course this was another thing left to me to do also as a carer I am the one having to move out.

MaNaAk

Jessbow

Mar 1, 2013
Midlands
Not all of dad's savings were used up and my other brother believes that everything should be divided equally according to the will.

Things should be divided as per the will, surely?

Sarasa

Volunteer Host
Apr 13, 2018
Nottinghamshire
Forgive me if I'm wrong, but I think in effect that your older brother thinks the money should be divided five ways, so that he in effect gets 3/5s of whatever is left over. The money should be divided as per the will not from some vague idea that money was going to be put into an account for the nephews.
My parents opened a post office account for my son when he was born, which he took control of when he was eighteen. I know they did a similar thing for my brother's daughter, but not I think his son who was born after my dad died. I also know that £1,000 is left to each of the six grandchild/step-grandchild in mum's will. Do you know what is in your dad's will, specific provision may have been made for the grandchildren there?
I know nothing of legal matters, so forgive me if this is bad advice, but I'd be tempted to insist the whole estate is handled by a solicitor to ensure that the terms of the will are carried out fairly.
Thinking of you @MaNaAk , you have enough on your plate as it is without this.

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
Thankyou Sarasa. The draft of the will says that everything is to be divided between myself and my brothers. Of course we carers must have amazing strength.

MaNaAk

jugglingmum

Jan 5, 2014
Chester
My mum set up accounts for her 4 grandchildren. They had their names on and mum's. They were specific children's accounts. She needed a copy of birth certificate to do this.

So if there was no bank account with nephews names on it didn't exist.

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
My youngest brother has just said that if I had difficulty dealing with dad's finances then I should asked for their help. I managed dad's finances excellently and I can imagine the chaos if we'd all been attorneys. My other brother only communicates by email and it seems that email was insensitive. I don't know where I get the strength from.

MaNaAk

Bunpoots

Volunteer Host
Apr 1, 2016
Nottinghamshire
As someone recently said to me about my siblings “If they’d put this much effort in when their dad was still alive they wouldn’t be in this pickle now...”

I’m sorry they’re giving you yet more grief that you don’t need.

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
Thankyou Bunpoots. Even with severe Alzheimers dad was aware of what I did for him and I am sure yours would have been the same.

MaNaAk