Broken Humerus And Won't Walk In Hospital...

Bettybowen

Jun 7, 2020
Hi,

My Mum has been referred to the Memory Clinic, Speech and Language Therapy and the Incontinence clinic. She is awaiting an official diagnosis but things have gotten so awful lately.
On Friday evening she fell in the bedroom and my Dad couldn't get her up. The ambulance came after a 3.5 hour wait and she had to go to the hospital on her own.
It turned out that she had broken her humerus. She has been in a ward since Saturday evening. However, the ward aren't allowing visitors. The doctor who assessed her initially thought she'd had a stroke because of her slurred speech.
The problem I have is that I had a major fall out with my Dad on Saturday after years of tension resurfaced. I'm unable to speak to him for updates but I have had some information from the hospital.
The nurse has said that the discharge team have seen her today and she will be going to a community hospital for rehab. She hasn't walked since she has been in there and the nurse believes that she has lost her confidence and physio will help.
I'm a bit worried that she won't find the confidence to walk again and whether this may be dementia related or simply more a confidence issue.
My Dad is in his late 80s and has been struggling to look after her as it is. Will the hospital provide any help for them when she returns home?
I haven't got any other family members who can give me any updates so it's really frustrating and difficult at the minute. I'm so worried about my Mum...
Thanks for reading x

MartinWL

Jun 12, 2020
London
My mother went to a community hospital after breaking her hip, and getting an emergency hip replacement in a district general hospital. The community hospital was very good. They provided physiotherapy. There are always social workers involved in discharge and there should be a plan of care in place before she leaves the community hospital. I had to cope with the confusion that arises when the patient lives in one county and the hospital is in another!