Broken hip

mynyddisamrs

Feb 1, 2010
North Wales
Calamity ...Mum fell off her commode early morning Tuesday and broke her hip. As she lives with us,we've tried to keep her out of harms way as much as possible but you can't be by her side 24/7 can you! All I can think is the .."What if she'd been on her own " etc ...she may have lain there for hours. At least she was in the hospital and on a ward within a few hours, She's had her op and now we start the recovery stage.
I must say the hospital was very good and quickly cottoned on to the fact that I was the one to talk to re. dementia - although I was asked "How do you know she has dementia?" - would I be doing what I'm doing for fun? Anyway today will be the day to see how she's coped with being in a strange environment, whether all the pain killers have muddled her even more and if she's still cheeky through it all. Yesterday she was so drowsy and knew no one .... her eyes lit up when my son was there and she held his hand. Typical...will react to a man but not to a lady! ... she doesn't change then!!
The last time she was in the hospital ...she escaped in the middle of the night and was found outside in her PJ's and socks in the rain....don't think it'll be possible this time but ...they have been warned!!
So... fingers crossed a recovery is on the cards.I've been warned about the percentages for recovery and hope she's not in the 7% that don't make it through the next month.
BFN

MJK

Oct 22, 2004
Hi,

How's your Mum doing? My Mum broke her hip two weeks ago and has had the op. She is still in hospital and we're waiting to hear when she'll be discharged. Before she went in she had advanced AD but was completely independently mobile, it now looks unlikely that she will ever walk again. She is incapable of following instructions and seems frightened of standing. I would say she has deteriorated a huge amount since the fall. Previously she was in a care home, we're now told she will definitely need nursing care.

I'd be interested in knowing the percentages you were given. We were told there was a 30% chance she wouldn't make it through the op, but haven't really been told anything else. The hospital aren't too worried about her currently, but I can see such a change in her. She seems so peaceful suddenly, and I am worried that the hospital having not known her beforehand see her as better than I believe she is. NOt that there's necessarily anything they can do but I just like to feel I know how she really is. (I live over 150 miles away so I can't just pop in everyday.)

Anyway, I hope your Mum's doing ok. I've read other tales of other people with AD bouncing back as if nothing had happened. I guess everyone is different, but I'm always trying to predict what will happen to my Mum :(

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
old ginger