Broken hip?

Natashat

Jul 26, 2017
My nan isn't usually independent at home never really calls but had a fall this morning and was just taken in with a suspected broken hip. Has anyone else seen loved ones has this and been ok? Just wondering how it will effect her and hoping they don't force her into a home with it as she's usually quite ok at home and ralley falls x

Soobee

Aug 22, 2009
South
Hi Natashat

I don't know what usually happens and I expect my mum is at the poorer outcome end of the spectrum.

my mum had a fall and it was assumed her hip was broken. I think it turned out to be only bruising. She was barely mobile to start with and never walked again, although the physios tried to get her up and about. She went for a month in the community hospital for rehab, and then home with carers and a hoist to lift her into a chair and then back to bed.

I think if your nan is normally more mobile and independent this will really help her to recover - my mum barely moved beforehand so completely different situation. Hopefully someone else will reply with a much more positive experience.

Coulddobetter

Oct 19, 2016
My nan isn't usually independent at home never really calls but had a fall this morning and was just taken in with a suspected broken hip. Has anyone else seen loved ones has this and been ok? Just wondering how it will effect her and hoping they don't force her into a home with it as she's usually quite ok at home and ralley falls x

So sorry your Nan has fallen. Happened to my Mum twice, in two consecutive years, left hip broken first time and second time the right hip.

If confirmed, then your Nan will need surgery. I assume she has dementia? Watch out for post op delirium, it is fairly common amongst the elderly, but particularly those with dementia. Apparently, it comes about because of the trauma of the fall, the anaesthetic, and the surgery. We thought Mum had taken a massive downturn initially post surgery, until it was explained to use that it was post op delirium.

Most hospitals have now signed up to' John's Campaign' I think it was called and should therefore allow you and other members of the family to visit outside of the normal visiting times to support your Nan and reassure her. Just being out of their usual environment is very disorientating for dementia sufferers and adds to their confusion.

Post any surgery, your Nan will need physio to enable her to get mobile quickly. This is sometimes more difficult to achieve quickly with PWD as hard for them to process instructions from physios plus manipulate a walking aid. Try to be there for physio sessions to help encourage your Nan to complete physio.
Hope all goes well.

DeniseH66

Aug 27, 2017
Greater London
Hi, my mum had a few falls and broken different bones each time. The biggest obstacle is getting over the fear of falling again. However since the dementia has kicked in this fear seems to disappear.
Stick with the physio exercises daily, we did exercise with Mum as she would forget what she has to do. We put music on and do the exercises together, can have a bit of a giggle. Need to be flexible on when you exercise depending on mood.
Try and get home visit physio, much better than waiting round at hospital, Mum had it when she broke her pelvis.
Sending wishes for a speedy recovery.

Witzend

Aug 29, 2007
SW London
My mother broke a hip at 91 or 2 - I lose track now - and despite pretty bad dementia by then she recovered remarkably well and quickly, though she was more wobbly than before and did still fall now and then, because she could never remember to use her Zimmer frame.
I have to say the hospital staff were very good with her - and she could certainly be on the stroppy side by then!
She had been in a care home for a couple of years by then and I don't think she was ever given any physio, or very little. Almost certainly she would have determinedly refused to cooperate with anything she didn't want to do, which was just about everything anyone ever suggested by then.

I should add that her general health was pretty good, which isn't always the case, I know. She lived on to shortly after her 97th birthday.

Last edited:

Pear trees

Jan 25, 2015
My mum broke her hip 5 years ago aged 85. Unfortunately the anaesthetic and disorientating stay in hospital worsened her dementia. She was a regular swimmer for many years before the accident, but never went again as was afraid of slipping. She healed quite well but would not do physio unless 'bullied' and now walks with a stick.
She started sundowning in hospital and would try to get up throughout the night. The staff were fantastic, even getting her to sort hair curlers to keep her busy.
She did improve when back at home, but refused to have carers, locking them out and being very rude.