Broken hip....i knew this would happen

lizzybean

Feb 3, 2014
Lancashire
Hi Gilly, just wanted to add my love & support along with everyone else. I really do hope you get to go away with your daughter. My daughter went to uni a few years ago & she kept in regular contact & came home frequently for weekends but is very,very emotional when they go.
Your husband is totally able to step into your shoes when you are away & I am also sure that he will be pleased to do it for the sake of you & your daughter. If you want him to he will keep in regular contact with you & not make any decisions without your say so.

All the best, take care.

gillybean

Jan 17, 2007
Thanks all....

Scan is being done this afternoon and possibly surgery :eek: I have said I would have major concerns with surgery and the nurse said without it it looks grim, I said we don't know the results of the scan yet though and to contact me before any decisions are made please, feel like this is spiralling out of my control and no one is listening to my wishes, if they had listened to me before we wouldn't be here today with this situation.

Can't even think about the uni thing yet, she gets her results Thursday so we shall see, more emotion we are all going through it at the moment.

Witzend

Aug 29, 2007
SW London
Thanks all....

Scan is being done this afternoon and possibly surgery :eek: I have said I would have major concerns with surgery and the nurse said without it it looks grim, I said we don't know the results of the scan yet though and to contact me before any decisions are made please, feel like this is spiralling out of my control and no one is listening to my wishes, if they had listened to me before we wouldn't be here today with this situation.

Can't even think about the uni thing yet, she gets her results Thursday so we shall see, more emotion we are all going through it at the moment.

When my mother broke her hip she was already as I said over 90, and frail with fairly advanced AD. I did ask the doc what was the alternative to surgery, if any, because obviously it was a risk.
But he said (as I recall) bed rest for 16 weeks, which would never have been any use, since she was still mobile, if very wobbly, and would never have remembered that she must stay in bed. And it would have been terribly distressing/agitating for her to be prevented from getting up when she would not have been able to understand why, so we just had to take the risk.

gillybean

Jan 17, 2007
I'm sat here, waiting, waiting, waiting.......

Decision was made to operate and pin her hip this afternoon, which the scan revealed hapenned yesterday am. I had no influence over their decision as they made it as best interests between consultants, the other option is I'm told riskier due to bedrest and pneumonia, blood clots and bedsores. Rock and a hard place.

Couldn't have hapenned at a worse time.

Raggedrobin

Jan 20, 2014
It is a very difficult decision. As witzend said, the person has to rest for months and is very likely to get pneumonia and die if they don't have the op. I don't quite get the connection but I think something to do with the immune system getting too distressed.

There was an old boy who didn't want to have surgery, he wanted to die, but the hospital just couldn't be responsible for letting him die slowly and possibly painfully from a broken hip so they operated against his wishes. He died slowly and painfully some time later.

Either decision is a very hard call but 80 is still quite young in my view, my mum had and successfully mended from a hip op at 96. The snag was the anaesthetic seemed to make her dementia worse.

CollegeGirl

Jan 19, 2011
North East England
Goodness how did I miss this thread?

I'm so sorry for what you're all going through, gillybean. What a very tense time. Waiting is so dreadful.

I wish you all, all the luck in the world xx

pamann

Oct 28, 2013
Kent
Hello gillybean
My Grandmother fell and broke her hip age 90, it was a long stay in hospital, but she pulled through, walked with zimmer frame to start with, then disregarded it saying they were for old people, l think at that age they have lived a long time so they just get on with it, l wish your mum well and a speedy recovery ♥♥♥

Sent from my GT-P5210 using Talking Point mobile app

MrsTerryN

Dec 17, 2012
I will be watching this thread gillybean. I do feel for you and your mum and now unfortunately my mum has broken her hip today. They have said surgery has to happen.

gillybean

Jan 17, 2007
Hi mrs terry, yes they said no option, more risk with bed rest so it had to be, hope all goes well, if they can operate on my tiny little mum I'm sure it will be fine, apparently our hospital has two per day in with this issue.

I shall visit later I hope she is behaving and co operating that's the issue as well, otherwise rehab could be a problem, scary times and a major set back for my mum as she's now not getting the MH assessment she so needs. She must be so confused with three moves in a month she was confused and delirious before so I don't know what to expect today, another stomach churning visit.

MrsTerryN

Dec 17, 2012
it makes it so hard for them gillybean. Mum knew she was in hospital but no idea where. Thanks for the reassurance

gillybean

Jan 17, 2007
Let's just say after yesterday, if she can do it anyone can!

Let me know how your mum gets on, we can compare notes!

MrsTerryN

Dec 17, 2012
Well I am back to the hospital tomorrow to hopefully hear her surgery will be then. Definitely will get back to you :)

gillybean

Jan 17, 2007
With our hospital the have to operate within 36 hours, so it was quick not much time to think about it which was better, agonising wait though when she was in surgery/recuperation x

MrsTerryN

Dec 17, 2012
Well mum was operated on within 25 hours of breaking her hip. When I went to see her this morning she was full of 'tales' that she had heard. She also wanted the doctor who had been at dad's funeral. There wasn't one :( I think she means the priest.
She then went off to surgery didn't seem to get she had a broken hip. I went back this afternoon and was there for when she returned to the ward. I stayed a while but she wasn't really there so I left but have told the staff if she becomes distressed just to ring me and I will come up.
They aren't going to do official rehab with mum gillybean, the nursing home will take that part over. They really want her back on her feet quickly as she was a 'walker' in other words she was fine walking and getting around.
Hope your mum had a good night

gillybean

Jan 17, 2007
Well mum was operated on within 25 hours of breaking her hip. When I went to see her this morning she was full of 'tales' that she had heard. She also wanted the doctor who had been at dad's funeral. There wasn't one :( I think she means the priest.
She then went off to surgery didn't seem to get she had a broken hip. I went back this afternoon and was there for when she returned to the ward. I stayed a while but she wasn't really there so I left but have told the staff if she becomes distressed just to ring me and I will come up.
They aren't going to do official rehab with mum gillybean, the nursing home will take that part over. They really want her back on her feet quickly as she was a 'walker' in other words she was fine walking and getting around.
Hope your mum had a good night

Hi, Glad it all went smoothly, Mum apparently had a good night, I am going there soon, no idea if she's eating, that's one of my concerns too along with everything else. Good she has the NH to go back to with Mum it's more complex. Mum was a walker too, pacing up and down so I suppose that's in their favour. Will update later x