Broken hip and in hospital

Catherine.

Mar 26, 2015
Being recently diagnosed after an acute period of confusion , my dad had settled back into 'normal' mild forgetfulness, but then fell and broke his hip. Disaster! His hip is fixed but he is back to being acutely confused, mixed up with times, where he is, who I am etc etc, and keeps trying to get up. The staff have found him on the floor once, I'm so worried it's going to happen again. We are aiming to get him home ASAP with care coming in 4 times a day, and hope this 2nd bout of confusion will soon pass. In the meantime any advice to keep him safe would be appreciated. The ward staff cannot watch him 24/7, and I am visiting as much as I can.

Havemercy

Oct 8, 2012
Being recently diagnosed after an acute period of confusion , my dad had settled back into 'normal' mild forgetfulness, but then fell and broke his hip. Disaster! His hip is fixed but he is back to being acutely confused, mixed up with times, where he is, who I am etc etc, and keeps trying to get up. The staff have found him on the floor once, I'm so worried it's going to happen again. We are aiming to get him home ASAP with care coming in 4 times a day, and hope this 2nd bout of confusion will soon pass. In the meantime any advice to keep him safe would be appreciated. The ward staff cannot watch him 24/7, and I am visiting as much as I can.

Hi Catherine - assuming your father is in a hospital ward - they should be providing a "special" who will sit with your father at all times to keep him safe -happens all the time where I work. Do ask why this is not happening and take it higher if necessary - eg the matron in charge. Best wishes and hope that things work out for your family.

Catherine.

Mar 26, 2015
Hi Catherine - assuming your father is in a hospital ward - they should be providing a "special" who will sit with your father at all times to keep him safe -happens all the time where I work. Do ask why this is not happening and take it higher if necessary - eg the matron in charge. Best wishes and hope that things work out for your family.

Thank you for your reply. He is in an acute orthopaedic ward. I will ask about a special nurse when I go in today, and let you know how I get on

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IBTC