1. Expert Q&A: Protecting a person with dementia from financial abuse - Weds 26 June, 3:30-4:30 pm

Financial abuse can have serious consequences for a person with dementia. Find out how to protect a person with dementia from financial abuse.

Sam, our Knowledge Officer (Legal and Welfare Rights) is our expert on this topic. She will be here to answer your questions on Wednesday 26 June between 3:30 - 4:30 pm.

You can either post questions >here< or email them to us at talkingpoint@alzheimers.org.uk and we'll answer as many as we can on the day.

1. Catherine.

Catherine. Registered User

Mar 26, 2015
    Being recently diagnosed after an acute period of confusion , my dad had settled back into 'normal' mild forgetfulness, but then fell and broke his hip. Disaster! His hip is fixed but he is back to being acutely confused, mixed up with times, where he is, who I am etc etc, and keeps trying to get up. The staff have found him on the floor once, I'm so worried it's going to happen again. We are aiming to get him home ASAP with care coming in 4 times a day, and hope this 2nd bout of confusion will soon pass. In the meantime any advice to keep him safe would be appreciated. The ward staff cannot watch him 24/7, and I am visiting as much as I can.

2. Havemercy

Havemercy Registered User

Oct 8, 2012
    Hi Catherine - assuming your father is in a hospital ward - they should be providing a "special" who will sit with your father at all times to keep him safe -happens all the time where I work. Do ask why this is not happening and take it higher if necessary - eg the matron in charge. Best wishes and hope that things work out for your family.

3. Catherine.

Catherine. Registered User

Mar 26, 2015
    Thank you for your reply. He is in an acute orthopaedic ward. I will ask about a special nurse when I go in today, and let you know how I get on