Broken glasses...there is support.

suzabell

Aug 29, 2014
bury st edmunds
My Husband is now 61 and has been in a care home for a year now. Since May, and a new prescription, he has taken to bending, breaking, biting his glasses. Now on his 3rd frame. Vision express have been Brilliant. The care home manager said there must be some assistance for this. I rang the RNIB who put me onto OPTEC. They linked in with the opticians to guide them through getting NHS continuous health care for his glasses. We await this but should get it.

Lindy50

Dec 11, 2013
Cotswolds
My Husband is now 61 and has been in a care home for a year now. Since May, and a new prescription, he has taken to bending, breaking, biting his glasses. Now on his 3rd frame. Vision express have been Brilliant. The care home manager said there must be some assistance for this. I rang the RNIB who put me onto OPTEC. They linked in with the opticians to guide them through getting NHS continuous health care for his glasses. We await this but should get it.
This is interesting @suzabell - I had never heard of this system. I'm sure it'll be helpful to quite a few people. My mum currently doesn't break her glasses (just has them constantly smeared with food and can barely see through the lenses) but I'll keep it in mind :)
Lindy xx

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
The care homes might know about this . An optician visited my husbands care home on a regular basis and not only changed lenses but provided new glasses too. I was never asked for any money.

I can't believe I didn't ask for more information at the time. Perhaps it showed how much I tried to protect myself by not becoming involved with anything other than the absolute necessities.