Broken femur

Jules293

Jun 19, 2017
My mother in law fell and broke her femur on Saturday (17th June 2017) she is in the late stages of dementia and no longer speaks,and does not understand what is happening to her. she is in plaster from her hip to ankle. My husband doesn't think his dad can cope at home if the hospital release her, he is late 70's. There is no wheelchair access to the home and no downstairs toilet, we are concerned about where she will sleep, where she can shower? It is impossible for my father in law to carry her upstairs. what is the likelihood of the hospital keeping her in? And for how long? We are all worried about her and also his dad.

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
hello Jules293
and welcome to TP
so sorry to hear of your mother-in-law's fall - such a cast would be tricky for anyone; no wonder her husband and son are worrying
make it clear at the hospital (there should be a discharge social worker or some similar role) that it is just not possible for your mil to be discharged to her home, in view of her dementia and the physical care she will need - don't be backward about telling them that your fil just will not be able to cope and that their home is simply not suitable for an immobile person with dementia - maybe contact the hospital PALS for some support
the 'usual' course on discharge is to put in place a re-enablement care package, which can be in the home eg 4 home care visits a day and assessments by a physio and occupational therapist OR a discharge to a care home to provide 24 hour care and assess what is to happen in the long run (you may now want to seriously consider a permanent move to a dementia care home)
if your mil will be self-funding ie she has in her own right assets over £23250 (not including their home or any of your fil's individual assets), you may want to have a look round at the local dementia care homes, even the nursing homes, and see if any are suitable - are Powers of Attorney in place, as these will make it easier for your fil to make decisions on his wife's behalf
the duty of care for your mil lies with her Local Authority Adult Services, so your fil can refuse to have any part in her care (I know this sounds harsh, it doesn't mean that he doesn't care for her, it's a way of making the LA realise that it's not in your mil's best interests to return home) - phrases such as your mil, if returned home to inadequate care, will be a 'vulnerable adult' and 'at risk' and possibly become a 'failed discharge' should get some reaction
hopefully the discharge team will realise that it isn't sensible or in your mil's best interests to return to her home, and that she needs 24 hour care in a home at least in the short term
best wishes

Slugsta

Aug 25, 2015
South coast of England
Hi and Welcome to TP.

I am sorry that you have this added worry. Shedrech has, as always, given you some very good advice. You/your hubby might need to be very firm in your stance that MIL cannot return home (at the moment) as Social Workers/OTs/whoever is responsible for arranging dicharges can sometimes try to 'steamroller' the relatives into having the PWD (Person With Dementia) home. As Shedrech said, PALS might be able to give you some support in this matter.

Amy in the US

Feb 28, 2015
USA
As others say, make it clear at the hospital that she cannot return home, as it won't be safe, and won't be possible to care for her there. REFUSE DISCHARGE until you have a plan in place, that you are okay with.

Perhaps that will be a respite placement at a rehabilitation facility or some type of care home or nursing home, or some other plan, but again, refuse the discharge until you have a workable plan.

It might take a lot of repetition and being very firm and assertive, but I hope you will get lucky and get a good social worker/nurse/staff person who will help you. Don't let them pressure you into a discharge until you're ready.

I am very sorry to hear of your MIL's accident and broken femur. I recently went through a broken kneecap (and surgery, hospital stay, rehab stay, et cetera) with my mother and it is not easy. Best wishes to you and your family.

Recent Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jackiejan