Bringing mother home

CO CO

Jul 10, 2015
My mother is 68 I am 39 we live together and she came down with delirium four month ago and been in a place for assessment since, she has not improved very much since she went in, I think it's korsicoffs syndrome because they have told me she can never drink alcohol again but they won't commit to a diagnosis, it fits as for the last 30 years she has drank 8 cans of lager every night, she was learning disabled before so I have been looking after her since dad died 20+ years ago.
Before this she was very controlling and manipulative towards me and now since the change when I go in every day to see her she just gives me stick like a big child apart from trying to put cigarets out on my head a couple of times, anyway she is due to come home in the next couple of days and it fills me with dread and not sure how I will cope or if I want to cope.

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

CO CO

Jul 10, 2015
Note :- Just stick as in going on and on at me, no violence apart from the cigarets incident

CO CO

Jul 10, 2015
Yeah I am in my own with her with no family support

jaymor

Jul 14, 2006
South Staffordshire
Hello Co co and welcome to Talking Point.

Please speak to the staff in the assessment unit and refuse to have your Mum home until there is support and care in place to help you care. No one can make you care for your Mum so if you think it will be too much for you call Social Services and tell them you will not be responsible for her care. Let the staff at the unit know too that you can't do the care. Social Services are obliged to undertake the care if that is what you want.

I hope it all works out for you whatever decision you come to.

Take care

CO CO

Jul 10, 2015
They seem not to be bothered, they seem to think they know her better than me, I have told them the only things that she liked doing is 1 drinking = can't do that, 2 watching t.v = never been interested since her illness at all, 3 going out in her own on buses to shops etc = can't do that anymore.
Yeah I work constant 12 hour night shifts so she will be on her own most of the time while I am in bed and during the night, they think carers coming in during the day and putting alarms on the door will solve the problem. Thanks for listening.

CO CO

Jul 10, 2015
It's not me as such, it's that when she was ok she used to cry at times because she was so lonely and used to give me a hard time for going to work and having a social life, she was on anti depressants the lot I have told them all this, I just don't what she will do with herself when I am not there to entertain her?