Bringing a parent back to uk from spain

Chrislw

Nov 11, 2019
Hi my 83 yr old mother resided in Spain 37 yrs, apparently has dementia/Alzheimer’s we do not have a close relationship. Informed by age uk in Spain that she needs to return to uk due to her condition and has no support there. She is in receipt of a small uk pension no house or savings. If she returns to uk and I put her up on a temporary basis will I be liable for her and her care, I cannot do this and do feel guilty. Preliminary calls to council informed that she can have a care and financial assessment I hoped that they would find a care home or sheltered housing, but until she returns will not give me a definitive idea

Bunpoots

Volunteer Host
Apr 1, 2016
Nottinghamshire
Welcome to Dementia Talking Point @Chrislw

I don't think you could be forced to care for your mother but it might take a long time to arrange appropriate care and accommodation for her if you can't arrange it in advance. Social services do not move quickly. You will not be financially liable, only your mum's income and lack of savings will be taken into account.

I hope this helps.

deepetshopboy

Jul 7, 2008
Hi
If she has mod dementia ie quite bad shelterd housing wont take her ive tried for my dad if tgey do they wont provide care it will have to be arranged for stuff like personal care etc
Maybe assisted extra living with carers already arranged if shes not too advanced
The social services will have a duty of care to assist if she has no savings ie care home

starryuk

Nov 8, 2012
When bringing your mum home, I think you need to work out what she might be entitled to in the way of support. For instance, she has to have lived in UK for 2 years before being entitled to attendance allowance. Accessing some other services may also be dependent on being 'habitually resident' here. That appears to be a question of time and a grey area.Most important first step is registering with a doctor. There are rules regarding being eligible for that, although I believe the doctor can apply discretion. We were lucky that my mum was self funding when we brought her back and into a care home, so didn't need to involve Social Services at all and she was able to register with a GP. But I was outraged to discover that despite paying UK taxes etc all her life, she couldn't get attendance allowance. I hope it works out well for you.

Alex54

Oct 15, 2018
Newtown, Wales
she has to have lived in UK for 2 years before being entitled to attendance allowance
You will also find that the attendance allowance is used as a qualifying criterion for other benefits. On the plus side, pension credit should be possible which does bring other benefits.

Personally, after 37 years in Spain, I question how suitable a move back to the UK would be, it might be better to try and find support out there.

JoannePat

Jan 24, 2019
My mum is in a Private CH in Southern Spain. My dad pays for all costs.

The only option to your mum, if she is unable to fund, would be to go into a Spanish Care Home. There are not many about, as they rely on families to care for their elderly.

If she has been here for 37 years she will probably speak Spanish - but I have heard of dementia patients reverting to their mother tongue only. The Spanish Care System will not take that into consideration.

I know it is very difficult for you as you do not have a close relationship.

Does Age Care pop in and see your mum? Have you contacted the local Royal British Legion? They do lots for the elderly here and may be able to suggest something.

Good luck,