Brilliant downsizing experience

Sammyjo1

Jul 8, 2014
We've just moved into the perfect modern flat after having lived in a 4 storey Victorian house for 21 years. I had been looking for 2 years and was thrilled to find this place. The whole buying process took longer than it should have done so I've had this move hanging over me for months and have been increasingly worrying and stressing over it.

I am not very physically able myself so needed help with clearing stuff out and I was very fortunate to find a professional declutterer who, with his assistant, helped me sort through acres of accumulated stuff and also was there to help unpack the boxes once we had moved in. I'm not sure what I would have done without them. They say they will travel anywhere to help out, so if you are interested please do PM me.

We've now been in here for a few days and it already feels like home and I know I've made the right decision. It may be that OH will never be able to find his way around here but he was losing himself in the old place anyway.

For anyone wondering whether they should downsize, I'd say "go for it"

1mindy

Jul 21, 2015
Shropshire
It's 11 months since we did it. Unfortunately oh went into a home shortly after. We have moved a lot so for me it was easy ,I have no sentiment for houses. I agree with you, downsizing is actually quiet liberating.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
I agree. Who needs to rattle about in empty rooms.

Downsizing means less expense , less to maintain, less room to hoard clutter and less to clean.

I`m pleased it is working for you Sammyjo.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
I too downsized into a modern apartment. We moved at the of June. Sadly my husband died at the end of July but he did have a month in our new surroundings. I don't regret the move for one minute. I'm so glad I did it when I did.

Sammyjo1

Jul 8, 2014
I too downsized into a modern apartment. We moved at the of June. Sadly my husband died at the end of July but he did have a month in our new surroundings. I don't regret the move for one minute. I'm so glad I did it when I did.

I followed your journey as you downsized Izzy and you were my inspiration. Knowing you had managed it made me hopeful that I would be able to. And I am so sorry that Bill wasn't able to enjoy more time in the new apartment but glad for you that the move is behind you.

Living in a modern apartment is so much easier isn't it? I can't believe how little I think about the previous house - I thought I would be gutted to leave it and all the memories.

Sue J

Dec 9, 2009
Well done on moving SammyJo I hope you will both be happy in your new home and it will make life easier for you.

Best wishes
Sue:)

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Living in a modern apartment is so much easier isn't it? I can't believe how little I think about the previous house - I thought I would be gutted to leave it and all the memories.

Absolutely! I hardly give the other house a thought. :)

Selinacroft

Oct 10, 2015
I'm currently sat here contemplating which of my many heaps to have a go at sorting. I don't declutter, things just migrate upwards, first to bedrooms and then to roof or outside in shed or garage. Having said that , this year I have actually cleared out quite a bit.
I am totally sentimental about house (born here) and thought of leaving it is very strange. If I could knock it down and plan it's redevelopment I would be cool about it, but if someone else were to take over and do it instead, it would be totally soul destroying and I wouldn't want to know.
Being totally contrary , I would love somewhere new, big exciting adventure , low maintenance etc etc but .....I would always be looking over my shoulder . I suppose you never really know until it happens. Glad it worked out for you.

Slugsta

Aug 25, 2015
South coast of England
We have been in this house for nearly 29 years and are in the process of trying to move into a flat (things have stalled at the moment, waiting for our vendors to find somewhere to go and hoping we don't lose our buyers).

When we moved in here it was 'good enough', I thought we would only be here for a few years but things worked out otherwise.

Knowing that where we go next is likely to be our last move, and therefore has to be 'perfect', actually adds a lot of stress that we didn't have last time round.

We will be going from 3 bedrooms, 3 large cupboards, a loft and garage to 2 bedrooms and 1 cupboard (no loft or garage) so are having to be brutal about the decluttering!

Sammyjo1

Jul 8, 2014
Good luck with it Slugsta. I was quite ruthless with the decluttering and, so far, haven't regretted anything I got rid of.

It really is very cathartic starting in a new place with less baggage. At least it has been for me :D

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
We will be going from 3 bedrooms, 3 large cupboards, a loft and garage to 2 bedrooms and 1 cupboard (no loft or garage) so are having to be brutal about the decluttering!

That's exactly my situation and I was brutal. Mind you I have a storage unit which I pay for by the month. I have whittled down the stuff in there a lot and I hope I will be able to downsize that to the smallest size - or even give it up! That's my task for the new year.:rolleyes:

Canadian Joanne

Apr 8, 2005
Toronto, Canada
I would like to move also but we have so much "stuff"!! I am not allowed to touch any of Rudi's things - no problem there as I have enough of my own junk to wade through. Still, we have both been nibbling at our stuff and have reduced it a bit. We have no date to move, just a nebulous wish, but I want to get rid of as much as possible.