Bright ideas time, please

AbbyGee

Nov 26, 2018
Portsmouth, South Coast
Had one of those great flashes of bright idea this morning and can't fathom out why it had not struck me before.

Usual morning routine is I get into the shower for a quick splash and 10 minutes of peaceful me-time then get husband out of bed and into the shower whilst I stay in the bathroom drying myself and generally keeping an eye on him. This invariably means I have to get back into the shower with him to sort out the shampoo from the body wash and face flannel from the body sponge. Of course, I get wet again. And tetchy. And grumpy. Tetchy and grumpy is a bad way to start any day.

Then it struck me - why don't I simply 'do' his shower first (the cubicle's big enough for us both, even with the seat in place) then finish my ablutions whilst he's drying off? How easy would that be! And I can keep an eye on him at the same time.

I know this means I'll give up my 10 minutes of peace but I'll gain a whole lot more by not starting the day in the wrong frame of mind and the whole darned process should be a lot speedier. Bonus!

It's set me thinking what other little routines I'm stuck in through habit that could be reversed and / or simplified.

What has anyone else come up with that is just a little change of habit that made things a lot easier?

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
You can still have your 10 mins peace by getting up first and having a cup of tea, then getting him up and in the shower.

AbbyGee

Nov 26, 2018
Portsmouth, South Coast
@canary - that could be a good plan - thanks!
@jaymor - I do that sometimes (especially in this heat) but still end up getting wet again in the morning!
@Vic10 - hmmm .... not quite so sure about that - for various reasons he has a special shampoo and uses the gentlest body wash so would prefer to stick with the known.
And although it may sound silly - our shower is not cheap to use so doubling up could shave a few pennies off the electricity bill. As an option, I'll try using the shower then a sink wash / bird bath on alternate days. I think the shower habit is a leftover from days of working closely with other people. If it's only me and him indoors we could pong gently together sometimes.
:) :)

TNJJ

May 7, 2019
cornwall
@canary - that could be a good plan - thanks!
@jaymor - I do that sometimes (especially in this heat) but still end up getting wet again in the morning!
@Vic10 - hmmm .... not quite so sure about that - for various reasons he has a special shampoo and uses the gentlest body wash so would prefer to stick with the known.
And although it may sound silly - our shower is not cheap to use so doubling up could shave a few pennies off the electricity bill. As an option, I'll try using the shower then a sink wash / bird bath on alternate days. I think the shower habit is a leftover from days of working closely with other people. If it's only me and him indoors we could pong gently together sometimes.
:) :)
Shower together?

Just me

Nov 17, 2013
I used to help mum shower then stand around while she dried herself then help her dress make her breakfast then go back upstairs while she’s eating and make her bed and clean the bathroom.
Now I make her bed while she’s drying herself, give the bathroom a quick clean while she’s putting on her clothes then downstairs to get her breakfast.
It means I’m doing the same things in less time.
Result ?

Just me

Nov 17, 2013
@TNJJ - yes, that was the general idea. Been going round in circles here but will try the new plan.
@Just me - oooohhhh do bathrooms need cleaning? o_O Oh heck, that's something else to add to the list of chores.
Amazing what you can do in the time it takes someone to pull up their trousers and put a top on ?

Joachim

Aug 15, 2020
Had one of those great flashes of bright idea this morning and can't fathom out why it had not struck me before.

Usual morning routine is I get into the shower for a quick splash and 10 minutes of peaceful me-time then get husband out of bed and into the shower whilst I stay in the bathroom drying myself and generally keeping an eye on him. This invariably means I have to get back into the shower with him to sort out the shampoo from the body wash and face flannel from the body sponge. Of course, I get wet again. And tetchy. And grumpy. Tetchy and grumpy is a bad way to start any day.

Then it struck me - why don't I simply 'do' his shower first (the cubicle's big enough for us both, even with the seat in place) then finish my ablutions whilst he's drying off? How easy would that be! And I can keep an eye on him at the same time.

I know this means I'll give up my 10 minutes of peace but I'll gain a whole lot more by not starting the day in the wrong frame of mind and the whole darned process should be a lot speedier. Bonus!

It's set me thinking what other little routines I'm stuck in through habit that could be reversed and / or simplified.

What has anyone else come up with that is just a little change of habit that made things a lot easier?
Its amazing how you have solved these small problems and improved your life.
You can just use body wash as shampoo, just one bottle then. I'm sure its all the same. I have my shower early evening so my mornings are free. Just keep trying to simplify everything.

Cat27

Feb 27, 2015
Merseyside
Its amazing how you have solved these small problems and improved your life.
You can just use body wash as shampoo, just one bottle then. I'm sure its all the same. I have my shower early evening so my mornings are free. Just keep trying to simplify everything.

Welcome to DTP @Joachim

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bottomls