Brian died at 6.15 p.m. to-day

Nan2seven

Apr 11, 2009
Dorset
Having come home for a break from the care home at 5.30 this evening, the 'phone rang at ten to six, our eldest son telling me that the Sister advised to come straight away.

Got there as fast as I could, found Brian now sitting more upright and with both eyes open. He gazed at me for most of the next five minutes and then died very peacefully, after two days of hard struggle.

I had been with him all day bar a 30 min. break over lunch and Matthew said he had been telling him "Don't go back to sleep just yet, Mum's on her way. She'll be here any time now" and he is convinced that he hung on for me.

I also had a kiss from him part-way through the morning and most of you will know how much store I set on those.

All three boys have been with me for most of the day, which has been a huge help. The eldest has brought me home and although I am on my own at this moment, I am peaceful and calm. They are "sorting things out."

My grateful thanks to you all for all of the support you have given me over these past few weeks.

Love, Nan XXX

sussexsue

Jun 10, 2009
West Sussex
How lovely that he waited for you. Hope your feeling of peacefulness and calm lasts, but am sure you are going to have some very sad days ahead.

As Kazza73 said on another thread, what a sad time on TP at the moment.

Sue

elaine n

Jun 1, 2010
west country uk
Oh Nan....I'm so sorry to read this but so very glad that you were there and that Brian waited for you. Much love to you at this very sad time xxxxxxxxxxe

kazza73

Feb 11, 2009
Perthshire Scotland
Dearest Nan I am so very sad to read this news. I am glad that your beloved Brian was able to hang on so that you could be by his side as he passed peacefully, I am sure he waited for you so he could say his final good bye. How wonderful that you managed to get a kiss today, I'm sure you will treasure that (and all his other kisses) forever.
Be gentle with yourself and let your sons surround you with their love and strength.
Sending you much love and very gentle (((((hugs))))))
Karen xx

BeckyJan

Nov 28, 2005
Derbyshire
I am so very sorry to hear this Nan - my thoughts are with you. Its good that you were with Brian at the end and the boys are supporting you so well.
Love.

Jancis

Jun 30, 2010
Hampshire
Dear Nan, I am so sorry to read your messages this evening. I can only offer my love and condolences. Jancis xxx

florence43

Jul 1, 2009
London
With dignity

Dearest Nan,

I'm so sad to read your news yet heartened by the dignified and peaceful way in which Brian left. Knowing that he must go (as I did with my father) sometimes, it's all you can hope for on their behalf, and I am so, so glad for you and your sons that Brian held on to say goodbye. What a wonderful man.

We will all be here for a long, long time to support you, when you need us. The peace and calm is a blessing now, but no doubt, will feel strange when you're so used to the fast pace you've been living recently. I remember that feeling well.

Please accept my sincere condolences and may I wish you strength, peace and courage in the days, weeks and months ahead. You and Brian have shown us incredible bravery, grace and dignity and I would like to thank you for sharing such a personal journey. You were blessed to have each other in your lives, and may the wonderful memories soon outweigh the sadder ones of late.

Sending lots of love and support,

Helen33

Jul 20, 2008
Dear Nan,

Yours is the first post I viewed when I logged in and I am so very sorry for your loss. It is wonderful that Brian waited for you and you weren't left with the regret of having missed his leaving.

Sending much love at this time.

littlegem

Nov 11, 2010
north Wales
Nan it must have such a relief that you arrived in time to spend those precious last few moments with your Brian.
Lean on your family now and remember your Brians wonderful kisses these last few weeks- he always had strength for your kisses and you will treasure them.
We are all here when you are ready to talk in the meantime know that we will be thinking of you all.
Take care Nan
love Anne
xxx

FifiMo

Feb 10, 2010
Wiltshire
Dear Nan,

So sorry to read of Brian's passing but am so glad that it was peaceful and a fitting end to your journey together with you and all his family around him. For all that dementia controlled so much of his life, he managed to triumph over it at the end to hold out for you to get there and to share some special moments with you.

My thoughts and love are with you and your family at this time.

Fiona
x