Breathing problems and dementia?

Louise55

Aug 7, 2015
Hello

I'm wondering if breathing problems can be associated with the early stages of dementia? My Mum has been showing symptoms of the early stages of dementia for about 18 months but more recently she sounds breathless, more noticeably when speaking on the phone. Whenever I ask she says she feels fine.

I've spoken to her GP but got very little information or support.

Thanks

stanleypj

Dec 8, 2011
North West
Almost anything, it appears, can be a symptom of dementia.

I think if my mum had been like this, I would try to get her seen by someone who didn't know she had dementia. Then I might have got a proper investigation of what could be a symptom of a number of other conditions which might be curable, unlike dementia.

I'm afraid it's not uncommon for medics to be fatalistic when it comes to dementia. Of course everyone knows what the end point of the dementia journey will be p- the same end point of all our journeys, and you can't but be fatalistic about that. But as regards every symptom that rears its head during the journey we ought to be able to expect help to make life more comfortable.

Dementia Awareness is spoken of everywhere, but often seems to have by-passed some in the medical profession.

I hope you may, at least, be able to get a second opinion.

Last edited:

Sue J

Dec 9, 2009
We I first became unwell I had breathing difficulties always when I was too ill to visit the Drs, once they sent one the next day who told me my breathing was fin, well it was then but not when I rang. I also had abdominal distension which didn't help. It is one of many transitory and cyclical symptoms. However, I realised the other day the coughing fits I had been getting I haven't had for most of the summer when I seem to be generally better. I do try a steam inhalation if I remember when breathing is difficult which can help but your Mum may need supervision?

Sad as it is, I agree with Stanleypj's suggestion of visiting a Dr that doesn't know about the dementia which if the latter is suspected or diagnosed some will try and fob you off with whatever they think will get you out of the door quick.:(

I hope you get some advice from the GP, who should at least listen to her chest.
Best wishes
Sue:)