Breathing and dementia

jay jay

Mar 24, 2011
london
Hi all, I have a query that I was wondering if anyone could advise. My mother was diagnosed in 2009, she had never smoked and is not on any medication, over the past week I have notice she becomes breathless, although she cannot move very quickly, she is 93 in October and was wondering if this is common with people who suffer with dementia.

lilysmybabypup

May 21, 2012
Sydney, Australia
Wow, 93 and no medications? That's remarkable. I really think you should get her checked by the GP because she may have a little chest infection starting. Don't want to alarm you but it won't hurt to get it looked into. My mum, no dementia, is almost 83 and was getting breathless all the time, but she's always had bouts of bronchitis in the past so her lungs are quite scarred, non-smoker too.

Get her looked at for your peace of mind.

Stephanie, xxx

Chrismitch

Jun 23, 2011
My OH is only 65 and was diagnosed 3 years ago. He is on medication, for AD and heart problems, but over the last six to nine months has developed very laboured breathing. He has no infection but has not been checked out. I am sure it is due to a lack of exercise in his case.

Nebiroth

Aug 20, 2006
Breathlessness is not normal, therefore it should be checked out, espescially in someone elderly. There are a many possible causes, the majority of them are of no great concern but a few are and the earlier they are disanosed and treated the better.

Temporary breathlessness, espescially with other chest infection telltale signs such as a productive cough or preceded by a temperature and in someone young, it is safe to ignore it unless it goes on for weeks.

Breathlessness, espescially at rest, in someone elderly with no other obvious signs is more worrying, particularly as the incidences of more serious causes rises with age.

It might not even be a problem with the lungs themselves, for example, many heart conditions also lead to breathlessness because the flow of blood is inadequate, the body detects the lack of oxygen and stimulates the breathing to try and increase the supply.

It is espescially important to refer to a doctor if it continues for three weeks or more or shows signs of progressing.

It could easily be the heat - this throws a heavy load onto the body and organs like the heart - but only a doctor can tell.

jay jay

Mar 24, 2011
london
Thank you every one for your replies, I will take her to see her GP, as you said Stephanie for my peace of mind.
I just hope that her regular GP is back, as she has been away for a few months, and my mum trusts her, and the GP goes along with the pretence that she asked to see mum, so she doesn't stress so much.
Mum always tells me {once you start with them people, they always find something to keep you there}
Once again thank you for the replies, it is nice to be able to communicate with people who know what you are going through.

Many thanx Janice x x x x