Breast screening-your thoughts?

turbo

Aug 1, 2007
My wife really enjoyed the breast scan day out, all those people to talk to she's never been too inhibited anyway so she thoroughly enjoyed it. What are the odds of it being a positive result I tried to google it but couldn't find a figure so I can't risk asses it, but if there's no family history and it would be all too traumatic for her then it's probably a good decision to give it a miss.

Hello Kevin, the chance of being recalled after a mammogram is 1 in 20. Some just need a repeat mammogram and ultrasound. Of those that go on to have a biopsy about 80% of those biopsies will be negative.

turbo

carpe diem

Nov 16, 2011
Bristol
Hi, did your mum attend other screening before she had AD?
My mum has no problem with screening, doctors and hospitals, but me, I don't go to any screening appointments. Everyone is different.
Just consider that screening is not always accurate there are lots of false results nor is it a treatment or a cure. Also consider the treatment if it was a positive result.
I had colon cancer at 43 and I don't go to any follow up screening, no cameras are going up my bum, thanx for the offer!! Nor do I have smear tests.
I don't have any symptoms and don't want the screening.
It is an individual decision and you have to decide what you think your mum would want you to do in her best interest.
Phone the hospital and ask their advice too, often they have come accross similar things before.
Remember you are not denying her a treatment just an unreliable test.

carpe diem

Nov 16, 2011
Bristol
Hi anongirl.
I've just been thinking about this some more. What I should have said was that my mum had (past tense) no problem with hospitals, doctors until recently. She was a nurse years ago. Screenings were no problem but how things change.
She was recently admitted to hospital with a UTI and changed from having an MME score of 28 to having a crisis. I do put this down to unfamiliar surroundings as much as the UTI. So I would do anything to try and keep her out of hospital now as she can't cope with being away from home for days and nights.
Mum could not understand she was in hospital and insisted the doctor had been round the ward selling alcohol, she told me he's not a doctor. One day my sister found her wandering in the car park. The last day she sat in her coat singing "why are we waiting" and a host of other strange behaviours. It took me a lot of persuasion to get her discharged as I think they thought she was incapable of looking after herself.
Maybe you need to think about how your mum would cope if she was admitted to hospital and what's the point of screening if you can't cope with the result. How does she cope away from home?

DeborahBlythe

Dec 1, 2006
Option 4, there is no point in even thinking about attending, what would you do with a positive result and what terror, worry and upset would you cause by going and getting an all clear.

When hubby was at home I declined breast screening appointments for myself for just those reasons.
With best wishes from Jo

I very much agree with this. I also think the procedure itself is rather archaic and painful, and had it been offered to my mum I know for certain she would have found it highly distressing. I know some women are able to tolerate it without too much discomfort apparently, but I certainly wouldn't want it for myself or for anyone else I cared for. I find it excruciating.