1. bemused1

bemused1 Registered User

Mar 4, 2012
    Breakfast for swallowing problems.
    Anyone got any good ideas. I had been giving him ready been with thickened but that seems to result in choking. Can't give him eggs everyday, enough problems keeping his gut moving.
    Ideas please?

2. patsy56

patsy56 Registered User

Jan 14, 2015
    Fife Scotland
    we have porridge, at the moment we are on Wheetabix soaked in milk, like baby Farleys. we at the weekend have black pudding and chopped tomatoes, and bread with crusts off.

Yes eggs bad enough but B likes brown sauce which helps

3. jaymor

jaymor Volunteer Moderator

Jul 14, 2006
    Female
    England
    Porridge, wheetabix or yoghurt are all good. My husband is on a pulverised diet because of his swallowing and manages all three of the above with no problems. Put honey on his porridge and it goes down in no time.:)

4. Roses40

Roses40 Registered User

Jan 25, 2015
    manchester
    Dad has weetabix with honey and whole milk followed by toast and marmalade (crusts off). No choking until he has a cup of tea. Also may have skinless sausages x

5. patsy56

patsy56 Registered User

Jan 14, 2015
    Fife Scotland
    yes B likes toast and marmalade crusts cut off, and the birds like the crusts as does Milly the cat from across the back

6. bemused1

bemused1 Registered User

Mar 4, 2012
    Toast definitely a no, was having porridge but managed to get the minutes bit stuck in his throat and choke.
    Thank you people.Am going to try cereal soaked and sometimes the skinless sausages. Tinned tomatoes I already use a fair bit. Breakfasts seem to be most troublesome although I give him an hour or so before I get it.

7. patsy56

patsy56 Registered User

Jan 14, 2015
    Fife Scotland
    I tend to over run the porridge so suppose it goes like gruel

8. esmeralda

esmeralda Registered User

Nov 27, 2014
    Devon
    Have you tried the very fine oatmeal bemused? It takes a bit longer to cook but may be smoother. Actually the health food shop may have different kinds of cereal that can be cooked to make a smooth sort of er, porridge. Nothing springs to mind but it may be worth trying.
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

9. esmeralda

esmeralda Registered User

Nov 27, 2014
    Devon
    Think I was thinking of things like rice flakes.

10. patsy56

patsy56 Registered User

Jan 14, 2015
    Fife Scotland
    wanted to add to my post microwave porridge has less bits in my opinion

11. bemused1

bemused1 Registered User

Mar 4, 2012
    thank you patsy, maybe worth a try. We have very fine ground oatmeal but that doesn't stop the choking. Maybe I will have to cut out breakfast, later in the day he seems better

12. loveahug

loveahug Registered User

Nov 28, 2012
    Moved to Leicester
    My aunt thoroughly enjoys her egg and bacon breakfast, it's the baby food one out of a jar but, according to my cousin, it's tastes great with a little salt and pepper added! Similarly with the beef casserole version which gets a little mustard to widen the flavour.

13. jugglingmum

jugglingmum Registered User

Jan 5, 2014
    Female
    Chester
    Rice flakes should be in the baby food isle of any supermarket. They are first food for babies before fruit and veg pureed.

14. bemused1

bemused1 Registered User

Mar 4, 2012
    Thank you. Can he choke on that-probably yes he can

15. jeany123

jeany123 Registered User

Mar 24, 2012
    Durham
    Squashed bananas and strawberries on soggy weetabix

16. bemused1

bemused1 Registered User

Mar 4, 2012
    Lots of things I would never think of. Try them all one after another. Get rid of a lifetimes thoughts about what constitutes ' breakfast'!

17. Jessbow

Jessbow Registered User

I thought of you this morning. I Tipped out and milked my shreddies and the phone rang..... Shreddies with milk go very soft and mushy very quickly!

18. patsy56

patsy56 Registered User

Jan 14, 2015
    Fife Scotland
    hey I eat that so B won't feel alone :D

19. patsy56

patsy56 Registered User

Jan 14, 2015
    Fife Scotland
    now must get them for the winter make a change from porridge

20. patsy56

patsy56 Registered User

Jan 14, 2015
    Fife Scotland
    :D Breakfast is only breaking the "fast" between last meal and next so yes can have breakfast anytime, now where is the chocolate sponge and custard.