Break down

Haziebear

Feb 29, 2020
Northwich Cheshire
After a stroke my husband was left unable to weight bear, is doubly incontinent, cannot feed himself and just sits in a chair staring. I went through a 3 hour chc assessment but we have been turned down. Apparently the report is a legal document and no changes can be made, however it contains 39 errors but I’m fed up of being passed round different departments without answers. The worst mistake states I lack capacity and have continence issues but can’t get these removed. Along with exhaustion from caring this has tipped me over the edge and I was found by the river by the police one night

Palerider

Aug 9, 2015
North West
After a stroke my husband was left unable to weight bear, is doubly incontinent, cannot feed himself and just sits in a chair staring. I went through a 3 hour chc assessment but we have been turned down. Apparently the report is a legal document and no changes can be made, however it contains 39 errors but I’m fed up of being passed round different departments without answers. The worst mistake states I lack capacity and have continence issues but can’t get these removed. Along with exhaustion from caring this has tipped me over the edge and I was found by the river by the police one night
Its too much for one person to sort out when things become overwhelming. Have you called any of the helplines to see what you can do? I know its frustrating being asked this, but its a starting point. The Alzheimer's Society has a helpline and they can direct you to a service which deals with CHC complaints and appeals, heres the number:

Also there is a crisis line in West Cheshire

kindred

Apr 8, 2018
All my sympathy. Please tell your gp that you have reached breaking point and cannot go on like this.
Please consider taking steps towards a nursing home for your husband
This is too much for you
Warmest, kindred

Zebra123

Apr 4, 2020
CHC is a lottery. I applied for my mum when she first went into care and again a couple of years ago. My mother sadly died on 31st July this year. 8 days later I received a letter telling me that as the hospital had placed her on the 'end of life care' path she would now qualify as from 19th July!! kindred - you really have my sympathy. Take the advice others have given you on this forum. Get help - from your GP, Citizens' Advice, this site's helpline. But most importantly just now get help for yourself. Give yourself some love and care - you so deserve it.

Haziebear

Feb 29, 2020
Northwich Cheshire
Thanks. I will try to sort myself out but recent events have wiped me. I have now spoken to my gp but had to fight the receptionist to even get that. It’s been a lonely couple of years. I suppose I’m angry that I kept us safe from Covid-19 but then he had to go and have another stroke.

Haziebear

Feb 29, 2020
Northwich Cheshire
Husband now in a care home and settled well. I’m having counselling but have refused antidepressants for the time being. Should have found help earlier as I’m exhausted. Thanks for all the advice

Zebra123

Apr 4, 2020
Hello Haziebear, just wondering how you were getting on. I expect you will be finding it very strange now that your husband is in a care home but I'm so glad you say he has settled in well. I have never tried counselling or therapy but I do find that antidepressants help me, but they're not for everyone I know. Take time now to learn to love yourself. I send you my warmest wishes.

DreamsAreReal

Oct 17, 2015
Husband now in a care home and settled well. I’m having counselling but have refused antidepressants for the time being. Should have found help earlier as I’m exhausted. Thanks for all the advice
Oh bless your heart. I hope the therapy is a help to you, I found it invaluable. Anti depressants had a terrible effect on me, but everybody (and every body) is different. Same with self-help books, if you can find one (amongst the dross) that speaks to you, they can be very helpful. Take it easy. Best wishes to you xx

Zebra123

Apr 4, 2020
Thinking about you again Haziebear - do hope your silence means you have found the support you deserve. Best wishes to you xx