Brain scan

Ali1184

Jul 7, 2020
Hello,
This is my first time using any type of forum. Sorry, if I haven’t posted correctly.
My 78 year old father was diagnosed with a form of Dementia by his GP just before lockdown. Although he’s been having symptoms for well over a year, his stubbornness had prevented him from going to the doctor before this.
Since lockdown his symptoms have progressed at a terrifying speed. He has gone from just being “a bit forgetful” to no longer being able to hold a conversation. Because of lockdown, my parents have not had any help and it’s got to the point of Mum being near breaking point herself. My Dad gets very frustrated and agitated because he feels trapped inside himself and he has had a few angry outbursts where he throws and breaks things in the home.
The GP has said he can’t prescribe any medication until my Father has a brain scan. However, because of lockdown all routine brain scans are cancelled until further notice. Is this correct?
It feels like they've been left with no help whatsoever.
Any advice will be appreciated, thank you

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
Hello and welcome @Ali1184.

Such a rapid deterioration is often caused by an infection such as a UTI. I wonder if that has been ruled out as getting an infection treated usually improves things.

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
Not to mention blood pressure, anaemia and even hearing. All of this affected dad's Alzheimers.

MaNaAk