Brain donation

alirob

Mar 11, 2007
warwick
After Mum died we donated her brain to the Brain Bank at Kings College London where it will be used for research into Alzheimer's Disease. They were very respectful at all times and the process involved us filling in a few forms. Mum's brain was removed at a local hospital and sent to London. They were immensely grateful and desperately need more donors for their vital work. I know not everyone is willing to do this, but please consider it because their work is so very important.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
I wouldn`t hesitate. We both carry Donor Cards, have done for years, and are on the Donor Computer at Manchester University.

christine_batch

Jul 31, 2007
Buckinghamshire
After peter's diagnoises with A.D. He wanted to make our wills, In case anything happened to me he wanted his 2 step-daughters on E.P.A Peter stipulated the following : no resuccetation, organ donation and brain to be donated to Alzheimers for research. Documents are with Care Home and with the Doctors.
Christine

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
That what I was thinking along the line of not knowing my mother wishes , all I can go along in knowing about how she would feel in brain donation if she would of wanted to donate her brain is that she is Roman Catholic so would say no she would not like it .

Tender Face

Account Closed
Mar 14, 2006
NW England
The most important donation......?

Well done Alirob. Tough subject. But my simplistic view is that without people like your mum and your family there would be little point 'throwing money into research' if there was nothing to research on.

The only hope in the current hopelessness many of us face is that we and our loved ones might be the forebearers of hope in the future ....

Much love and respect, Karen, x

christine_batch

Jul 31, 2007
Buckinghamshire
Brain Donation ??

Dear Margarita,
It is a very difficult decision to make. We have to respect peoples beliefs but on reflection I would want some good to come out of Research. Peter's main concern when making the decision was that other people could benefit and not go through what he was experiencing with A.Z. He was that adamanent that I contacted the Alzheimer Society for information and I had to let him know that I had made enquiries because it became a daily "have you done it yet" Once he knew it was possible Peter was satisfied. I do not know if any of this will help but perhaps by reading other threads it will help you make up your mind....
God Bless. Christine

Taffy

Apr 15, 2007
alirob said:
After Mum died we donated her brain to the Brain Bank at Kings College London where it will be used for research into Alzheimer's Disease.
Dear alirob, I would like to say what your done is very worthy indeed. I would do the same in a heartbeat, deeds like this are the way forward for researchers to make inroads into this miserable disease. Regards Taffy.
Christine said:
Peter's main concern when making the decision was that other people could benefit and not go through what he was experiencing with A.Z.
Dear Christine, I think what Peter has done here is remarkable he reminds me of my own mum her thoughts would be exactly the same, her worries were always for others. A few years back mum was watching a news clip about a baby receiving a life saving liver transplant she was so happy and out of the blue she said; any parts I have got after I'm gone that can help others they can gladly have them, but, tell them not to worry about my brain the borers have beat them to it. Regards Taffy.

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
I must say if it was to happen to me , I would put it in writing that I would want my brain donated for Research.

I have read on the AZ Research newsletter in of UK about embryo research that they are doing . must admit was taken back , yes because I did have been installed rooted in me from a young age a religion , so can't help myself question the right wrong in it , but now am an adult with my own mind I make up my mind when I read statement like

tender face But my simplistic view is that without people like your mum and your family there would be little point 'throwing money into research' if there was nothing to research on.

The only hope in the current hopelessness many of us face is that we and our loved ones might be the forebearers of hope in the future ....

Is so true , what if it happen to one of my children . we have to think of the future and research like this has to happen so we can find a cure .

My mother is so , so deep rooted n her beliefs in those issue , that in a low moment after she died it would hunt me to think that I had gone against her beliefs , and if I brought it up ask her about it now , she try to slap me around the head as if I am still a child :rolleyes: just asking her that .

Last edited:

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
I really don`t think anyone should be made to feel guilty for not wishing to be an organ donor.
So much depends on the beliefs of the individual and their opinion should be respected.
Organ donation is a very personal issue, and I do believe it is important for everyone to make their feelings and wishes well known to their next of kin.

Canadian Joanne

Apr 8, 2005
Toronto, Canada
Maggie,
I understand how you wish to respect your mother's wishes. I think you absolutely should and not feel guilty about it. As Sylvia says, it's a personal choice. As you noted though, you can make the decision for yourself. Getting it in writing is excellent but getting a donor card and also drumming it into your kids' heads what you want done is important also.

I know my mother's mind and have no qualms about donating any of her organs or her brain for research. This post brought up a good point for me (thank you, Alirob) - I need to consult with my sister to make sure she's clear with it also.

Nell

Aug 9, 2005
Australia
any parts I have got after I'm gone that can help others they can gladly have them, but, tell them not to worry about my brain the borers have beat them to it.

Oh Taffy, your Mum made me smile!! What a lovely Aussie way to put things!!

Mum has always wanted to donate her organs. After reading this thread I'm going to ask her specifically how she feels about brain research.

My Uncle and My Grandmother (on Dad's side) both left their whole bodies to science -one died at 97 and the other at 91, so I think they would be useful for studying old age!! Dad on the other hand was not comfortable with the idea,
so we didn't do it for him.

As others have said, it is a very personal decision.

Cate

Jul 2, 2006
Newport, Gwent
all I can go along in knowing about how she would feel in brain donation if she would of wanted to donate her brain is that she is Roman Catholic so would say no she would not like it .

As we are RC, like your mum Maggie, mine would not want to donate her organs, so I will respect her wishes.

As for my organs, I carry a donor card, and they can have the lot (apart from my eyes). I am hoping however that all spare parts will be well and truly worn out, I am working hard on that aspect of it.