Bowel Problems

chippiebites

Jun 27, 2018
My Husband has Vascular Dementia, He has to be hoisted, sleeps all the time except when I wake him to eat. He is waiting for an urgent SALT review because he has begun to have problems chewing and swallowing. he does still eat reasonably well, but has to be fed. I put him on the commode twice a day and he normally opens his bowels every day or two. However the last two days he has only passed large quantities of clear jelly like fluid. I have spoken to a DN and she said to wait another day or so then contact GP if no change, I am concerned that there might be an obstruction? or is it just that he is eating less? Does anyone have any advice please.

Jale

Jul 9, 2018
Would be contacting the gp and probably getting a sample too. Not the same, but one of my dogs used to get bouts of colitis and when they had it they always passed jelly/mucas type poo and had to have a vet visit for medication.

Hope it is nothing serious, but IMO better to be safe than sorry where dementia patients are concerned.

chippiebites

Jun 27, 2018
Thank you both for your replies, it seems to have gone back to normal now? Hubby does have diverticulitis as well, maybe that has something to do with it. I will phone GP tomorrow to see what they say, DN didn't seem concerned.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pescobar