Bowel Issue Question - please don't read if a bit squeamish

Casbow

Sep 3, 2013
Colchester
My husband had terrible problems with opening his bowels. Even before the constipation the dementia seemed to take away his ability to know when he wanted to go. The doctor came out twice and gave him a suppository. That didn't help much. He did not understand that he needed to hold that in for as long as possible.. The bowel nurse came a couple of times but nothing we tried seemed to help. Eventually he went into a care home and there was all manner of problems made a lot worse by the fact that he would not let them help him. I used to visit every other day and always at lunchtime. He was being given porridge everyday for breakfast. In the afternoon he had a bowl of fresh fruit. But at lunchtime he was always given puddings. He always loved food like syrup pudding, rice pudding etc. But I insisted that they tried to give him a bowl of fruit for pudding at lunchtime.He was also given fresh orange or other juice. Now cannot be sure how this worked for him everyday but it certainly helped and solved the worse of the problem. I felt terrible as I knew how much he liked the puddings. But with the dementia he would eat anything. So I believe lots of fruit and veg help a lot. Juice to drink and as much water as possible. I hope this will help. x

Citroen 2cv

Mar 1, 2019
Spain
Hi all,
Sorry to pop up again after a long time being MIA with a rather unpleasant query!
Dad is having a constipation issue. He has a stool that is, how shall I put this delicately?!- trying to come out but it's so hard that he can't pass it. It's very sore and uncomfortable when he tries.
We noticed it this morning, though he's had diarrhea for a couple of days and we now wonder if it's been (what I've only learnt from reading this forum today!) "overflow diahorrea". We've given him stool softening dulcolax today but wonder if it's a bit too, erm, late in the stage for it to work. Tomorrow morning we'll call the GP if there's been no movement overnight.

My question is just have people experienced this before with their PWD? How worried should we be? Dad can't really "push" any more so he can't really help matters along. What will a doctor do?! Sorry to sound a bit ignorant but we've not had this before. Just a bit stressed and miserable after a grim day.
Thank you
It sounds like your dad had became impacted. Luckily I don’t have that problem with mum but as a live in carer would come across it from time to time. suppossitries often do the trick...

Kay111

Sep 19, 2019
Would a suppositry work if it's so far down the bowel that it's almost out?

Susan11

Nov 18, 2018
How about small slivers of soap cut with a potato peeler gently inserted round the stool into the anus . This was recommended by a French pharmacist for my husband when we were on holiday many years ago. This certainly worked for him with no harm done.

Palerider

Aug 9, 2015
North West
All previous joking aside -the important thing is to get it resolved really.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kay111

Sep 19, 2019
Hello all, thanks for your advice. I'm pretty sure no one wants an update (!) but just to say things have been partially moving which is a relief. A lot of hard stool, but there's still a lot left to come. We've given dad a break from the commode for a while, at least it's eased a bit.

My question is - it's all pretty uncomfortable for dad and mum says there's a bit of blood and maybe tearing. Is there anything we can buy to help ease that side of things for now? When I was researching manual extraction (friday night fun, eh?) there was stuff about numbing creams. But not sure what anyone would advise. We don't think (unless other people here suggest otherwise?) it's a 111 issue. Dad is comfortable most of the time until he tries to pass the stool. We will call the GP on Monday but in the meantime... any advice?

Thank you so much!

TNJJ

May 7, 2019
cornwall
Hello all, thanks for your advice. I'm pretty sure no one wants an update (!) but just to say things have been partially moving which is a relief. A lot of hard stool, but there's still a lot left to come. We've given dad a break from the commode for a while, at least it's eased a bit.

My question is - it's all pretty uncomfortable for dad and mum says there's a bit of blood and maybe tearing. Is there anything we can buy to help ease that side of things for now? When I was researching manual extraction (friday night fun, eh?) there was stuff about numbing creams. But not sure what anyone would advise. We don't think (unless other people here suggest otherwise?) it's a 111 issue. Dad is comfortable most of the time until he tries to pass the stool. We will call the GP on Monday but in the meantime... any advice?

Thank you so much!
It is possibly blood where he is straining so much. Other than lots of fluids and prunes/bananas etc I cannot offer any more suggestions. I hope all ends well.

mikemikemike

Apr 16, 2020
Not an immediate solution for conspitation, but up'ing my dad's typical breakfast from 2 weetabix to 3 did wonders.

Getting my dad to drink more water would be better still (he typically only drinks about 700ml/day!), but we've tried every type of squash in the supermarket and obviously water isn't nice enough either. I tried to explain to him once that if he doesn't drink enough he'll get constipated, and he thought I was threatening him. I then carefully explained again with other examples of cause and effect and he got the point. He still doesn't drink enough though, despite me reminding him several times a day.

RosettaT

Sep 9, 2018
Mid Lincs
We've just been through this, rang the Dr after OH hadn't been for 2 weeks despite me giving lactulose, fresh fruit with prunes, chocolate (usually works). He prescribed senna and a couple of suppositories that didn't really work, so then community nurse gave an enema, that didn't work either but the CosMoCol powders that were prescribed (2 daily) have, but only after another week.

So we had a poonarmy last night and again this morning. Lovely eh!

The glycerin suppositories the Dr prescribed for me to give had no guidelines with them so I looked them up and apparently you can buy them.

Weasell

Oct 21, 2019
Would a smoothie with some nutritional stuff in it work?
Dementia can cause the taste buds to change to favour sweet things, so maybe you could say ‘ what flavour ice cream would you like today’ and put some in.
I would serve when I though hunger might be coming on.
A large (fat) straw may make it quicker and easier to consume.

Weasell

Oct 21, 2019
Th
CA5F6ED3-5960-403F-9641-4B60D00C7C8C.jpeg

Moggymad

May 12, 2017

My thinking is ....would some lubricating cream or jel around the inside of the anus help the passage of the hard stool & try to prevent further splitting of skin, if that is the cause of the blood seen. Obviously will require someone to perform this intimate task! Your poor dad I do feel sorry for him he must feel so uncomfortable with the pressure.

GillPJ

Jun 2, 2020
Weasell - those bottles look like a very good idea for "encouragement". When mum could still get to the loo we got her a bidet type loo seat, which would send a jet up to encourage things to start working.
It's great to see threads like these to know how others handle the problem. We tried Movicol but that was a bit too aggressive, one Lactulose doesn't really do much but two works a bit better and makes it softer.
One of the biggest problems is flushing it down the loo after!

Weasell

Oct 21, 2019
Weasell - those bottles look like a very good idea for "encouragement". When mum could still get to the loo we got her a bidet type loo seat, which would send a jet up to encourage things to start working.
It's great to see threads like these to know how others handle the problem. We tried Movicol but that was a bit too aggressive, one Lactulose doesn't really do much but two works a bit better and makes it softer.
One of the biggest problems is flushing it down the loo after!
Add a bit of fairy liquid and pour a bowl of boiling water down the pan. Wait five minutes then flush - better than hitting it with a stick haha!

Also fresh orange juice with a handful of cashew nuts can be delicious and get things moving. ( for people not blocked toilets !!!)

Kay111

Sep 19, 2019
Thank you all! I didn't realise it was such a common problem - in a way it's a comfort to know!

@Moggymad - that's what I've been wondering. I think if we continue to give him the stool softeners it will come out by itself over the course of the next couple of days. I was wondering what we could do to make the process a little less painful and maybe prevent any more damage. I don't know if anyone uses anything that can numb it and help it slide out easier? I don't really know what google search terms to use and quite frankly I'm a bit worried about what will come up if I google the terms I need to. :)

Also, thank you for the toilet unblocking tips - always very useful! We've had a couple of...erm....plumbing issues recently!

TNJJ

May 7, 2019
cornwall
Thank you all! I didn't realise it was such a common problem - in a way it's a comfort to know!

@Moggymad - that's what I've been wondering. I think if we continue to give him the stool softeners it will come out by itself over the course of the next couple of days. I was wondering what we could do to make the process a little less painful and maybe prevent any more damage. I don't know if anyone uses anything that can numb it and help it slide out easier? I don't really know what google search terms to use and quite frankly I'm a bit worried about what will come up if I google the terms I need to. :)

Also, thank you for the toilet unblocking tips - always very useful! We've had a couple of...erm....plumbing issues recently!
You can get toilet plungers too. I have one(bad toilet not bowel problems for me).