Bowel Issue Question - please don't read if a bit squeamish

Kay111

Sep 19, 2019
Hi all,
Sorry to pop up again after a long time being MIA with a rather unpleasant query!
Dad is having a constipation issue. He has a stool that is, how shall I put this delicately?!- trying to come out but it's so hard that he can't pass it. It's very sore and uncomfortable when he tries.
We noticed it this morning, though he's had diarrhea for a couple of days and we now wonder if it's been (what I've only learnt from reading this forum today!) "overflow diahorrea". We've given him stool softening dulcolax today but wonder if it's a bit too, erm, late in the stage for it to work. Tomorrow morning we'll call the GP if there's been no movement overnight.

My question is just have people experienced this before with their PWD? How worried should we be? Dad can't really "push" any more so he can't really help matters along. What will a doctor do?! Sorry to sound a bit ignorant but we've not had this before. Just a bit stressed and miserable after a grim day.
Thank you

TNJJ

May 7, 2019
cornwall
Hi all,
Sorry to pop up again after a long time being MIA with a rather unpleasant query!
Dad is having a constipation issue. He has a stool that is, how shall I put this delicately?!- trying to come out but it's so hard that he can't pass it. It's very sore and uncomfortable when he tries.
We noticed it this morning, though he's had diarrhea for a couple of days and we now wonder if it's been (what I've only learnt from reading this forum today!) "overflow diahorrea". We've given him stool softening dulcolax today but wonder if it's a bit too, erm, late in the stage for it to work. Tomorrow morning we'll call the GP if there's been no movement overnight.

My question is just have people experienced this before with their PWD? How worried should we be? Dad can't really "push" any more so he can't really help matters along. What will a doctor do?! Sorry to sound a bit ignorant but we've not had this before. Just a bit stressed and miserable after a grim day.
Thank you
Hi. Can he rock?If so he can rock back and forth on it.My dad suffers from constipation and only goes every 8 days. Lactose is good every other day.Bananas usually help in this department. No other suggestions that I can think of at the moment

Palerider

Aug 9, 2015
North West
Yes Lactulose is a good stool softner @TNJJ , but can't help feeling if it doesn't resolve he'll need a manual evacuation -the GP's lot!

Flavelle

Jun 20, 2017
So pleased you asked that question....mine is in the same condition and even though I have been giving him Movicol every day there’s just overflow. Bad news because of the pressure sores. It seems now that his bowel tubes can’t work it out any more...Currently awaiting district nurses to give him an enema as well. Sometimes applying pressure where the poo is gets it moving..sorry that’s a bit gross....be prepared for code brown! I recommend Conti wipes for clean up! When nobody told me we used loo roll... nightmare as it dissolves and is rough on bums!!
Hope you find some relief soon

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
OH has had overflow diarrhoea - he trailed it all over the house.............
He has problems with constipation at the best of times and lactulose doesnt work, but laxido did the trick. Mind you, he passed so much that it blocked the toilet :eek:. Another nice job to fix. As someone once said to me - carers get all the best jobbies..........

Kay111

Sep 19, 2019
Thank you for the replies everyone. If a GP can't do a manual extraction then is it just up to us to? We have no idea what we're doing. Poor dad's not going to react well - he can get a bit feisty with anything "down there" related as it is.

It's a relief that it's fairly common though.

Kay111

Sep 19, 2019
The worry in dad's case is that it's already so far down (as in, half hanging out - sorry, sorry) that I wonder if the stool softeners won't work?

Moggymad

May 12, 2017
My mum had this problem when in carehome. Stool stuck at exit! With permission from me (thinking rather you than me!) Carer used her finger to help manually evacuate it. Very uncomfortable for mum at the time but much relief all round when removed. Happened twice. Don't know if she should have but I wasn't complaining. Perhaps a nurse can help?

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
plenty of water could you put so baby oil around it ? the district nurse maybe in a care home not supposed to as he can damage the rectum or the anus and cause bleeding but this might as well.use a little bit of soap like an enema hope it passes soon for his comfort

Kay111

Sep 19, 2019
Unfortunately Dad is at home and mum's put the carers on hold while COVID is going on (we're in a London hotspot for it so she's been really anxious) so if it's not a doc/district nurse it'll be us.

@TNJJ - dad is immobile alas and he wouldn't be able to rock himself. We could try rock him but doubt that will go down well :)

@Palerider - there aren't many books I don't want to read, but i suspect that would be one of them :)

Flavelle

Jun 20, 2017
Hohoho...this thread is the best.
Thanks for making me giggle Canary!
Well here we are still stuck as the district nurses didn’t show up to do the enema... Quel surprise,....I am going to up the dose of Movicol...grim. So let me know if you have any luck Kay3 .....Moggymad that is a distinct advantage to a Care home (at a time pros are hard to find!) ..... ooo there is movement!

Kay111

Sep 19, 2019
@Flavelle - wishing you a...erm...happy result!!! i think i'm going to call the docs tomorrow and see if our district nurse can help. poor dad!

Bod

Aug 30, 2013
Don't let him do what FiL did when suffering the same.
Two tablespoons of 40 year old, liquid paraffin.
The washing machine took a fortnight to recover!
Bod

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sharonmatthews1976