bowel habbits

rhallacroz

Sep 24, 2007
merseyside
Dear All
Thanks firstly for being there. I was just wondering does anybody have any advicce regards bowels and trying to instigate regularity and routine. I am struggling with my dad in that he has always been a regular guy we now find that he is manually evacuating himself about twice a week and has no idea what to do with the toilet despite us sitting him on it and talking him through it all very difficult. He has started to be a little incontinent with urine and sometimes doesn;t make it to the toilet or sink which ever is nearest. He goes to a day centre which are wonderful and they say they try to make him sit but he doesn;t manage to wee unless standing. I remeber somebody mentioning about the colour of the toilet seat is important but cannot remember the advice. We also have and intermittent problem with swallowing dad just not knowing what to do.
Please help
Thank you.

Cate

Jul 2, 2006
Newport, Gwent
Sorry cannot help you with this one, we've had all the other problems, but at this time all is well on the toilet front.

I'm sure someone will be around soon to help you, just a thought, maybe the District Nurse could give some advice, or perhaps put you in touch with someone who could help. Could be a mild laxative is required.

connie

Mar 7, 2004
Frinton-on-Sea
Cannot help with bowel problems but found that using a urine bottle helped Lionel for about a year.

One thing he himself mentioned, and I had it changed was the raised toilet seat loaned to us by SS. Lionel always said it was like trying to wee through the keyhole. When you check the appature is much smaller than normal

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Hi, these were both problems I had with John. I think this stage when they are not totally incontinent, but are not reliably continent either, is so hard to cope with. The bowel problem is especially hard, because it seems to get everywhere. I foung with John that taking him to the toilet didn'twork, unless he felt the urge, he didn't understand why he was there.

Sadly, I didn't find a solution. The only solution came with total incontinence, and in many ways that's easier to deal with.

Good luck,

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
I can't find the thread with the toilet seat advice, but I do remember it and I'm reasonably certain that the advice was to have a dark toilet seat, since that would make it more obvious.

elaineo2

Jul 6, 2007
leigh lancashire
Dear rhallacoz.This is the 3rd time i have tried to reply to this post tonight.3rd time lucky?As for manual evacuation,there seems to me to be a constipation problem.Through experiences in my work this is normally the case.As for the toilet in general.I was taught in dementia training that dementis asufferers do not recognis the colour WHITE.Why?That is why some homes have RED toilet seats and RED toilet doors.From what i am told and have learned dementia sufferers see RED and recognise the toilet.(in its shape and form,am not saying that they will pee on everything red).Just advice on my training.love elainex

Cate

Jul 2, 2006
Newport, Gwent
Ah you learn something every day. I did wonder why all the toilet doors in mums NH are bright red, when the rest of the colour schemes are soft colours. Thanks Elainex

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ArthurPOA