Bowel and bladder

HUG

Nov 28, 2015
My mum has been at end of life for a while but recently we are experiencing the dip of not eating much although she is drinking at least 900ml per day. However I can't understand the amount of bowel movement mum is having taking into consideration the lack of food. Has anyone else experienced this?

Sent from my iPad using Talking Point

2jays

Jun 4, 2010
West Midlands
Hi hug

Without being insensitive, I hope...

In my experience, I found it's a part of the body "shutting down". The bowel is larger than we realise, and when mum was in her last weeks/days, she was for want of a better word "regular"

Mum stopped eating because she was dying. She didn't die because she stopped eating or drinking.

Whilst mum was still able or wanting to take fluid, she was comfortable. It was difficult for us when the time came that she didn't accept fluids, but I'm convinced she was not in any distress once that happened.

My heart goes out to you whilst you are going through all this. It's so painful and a difficult time for you.

xx

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

cragmaid

Oct 18, 2010
North East England
Hi Hug, like 2 Jays' mum, mine kept on soiling too....It never actually occurred to me that she hadn't shut this bit down, probably because she never suffered from irregular bowel movements.

It's a weird learning curve at times.:rolleyes:

Take care, Maureen.

LizK

Dec 18, 2015
Surrey
My mother hadn't eaten for 2 weeks before she died. I remember she opened her bowels on the day she died and said "where's it all coming from"?

Liz