Both parents in hospital now.

CardiffGirlInEssex

Oct 6, 2018
Just when I thought it couldn't get worse, it has.

Mum (PWD) has been in hospital more than 2 weeks and I think is gradually sinking. They are starting the process of finding a nursing home place for her but I'm kind of hoping nature will take it's course before that happens. I haven't visited her, as the key criterion is any visit must benefit her. I'd have to keep 2m distance and full PPE, so she wouldn't be able to hear me or (probably) recognise me and that doesn't help her at all. If she becomes officially end of life that might change things. She's not mobile, is being hoisted from bed to recliner, now doubly incontinent and mostly sleeping.

Then on Monday I had to do the M4 dash for dad, he was very poorly and confused. Had to have the ambulance which was a traumatic experience for him, though the paramedics were amazing with him and we got into A&E majors very quickly. I was allowed in with him while they did initial tests but had to leave once it was certain it wasn't a stroke. Still waiting for a place on a ward but he is in a proper bed in the admissions unit. The best guess is he has pneumonia so he's on antibiotics for that. He also has raised calcium and severe moisture lesions which are a cause of concern. He would benefit from a visit but I'm not allowed to book one until he's been on a ward for at least a week.

So I came back home yesterday and now I guess it's a waiting game. Had my covid booster jab yesterday evening and have reacted to it though not as badly as the first two, so feeling sorry for myself today!

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
so feeling sorry for myself today!

I`m not surprised.

Let yourself recover from the booster knowing both parents are being cared for and try to accept there is little you can do at the moment.

Easier said than done I know but if you can take advantage of this `free` time it may help in the coming months.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
(((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((hugs))))))))))))))))))))))))))))
Thats a whole lot of stuff all together. Im not surprised that you are feeling down
Try doing things like going for walks so that you are not sitting at home fretting.

CardiffGirlInEssex

Oct 6, 2018
So, an update. Dad went home yesterday, not the best organised discharge but his care company were excellent and kept rearranging their evening shift so they could be there when he eventually arrived. The antibiotics seem to have done the trick, till the inevitable next time. Here’s hoping we get at least a couple of months.

Mum however is not doing well. They think there has been further bleeding in the brain as her INR is still very unstable. Not doing another CT scan as it is very uncomfortable for her and whatever is going on, it can’t be treated anyway. They can’t stop the warfarin as she has two very old artificial heart valves so the risk of clots and resulting damage is just as bad as the current risk of brain bleed. She is immobile, doubly incontinent and eating and drinking very little now. Sleeping a lot too, as you’d expect I suppose, but not considered end of life at present. They say she is not distressed and they seem to be just going along with whatever she thinks is happening - earlier in the week it was that she was at school and she thought the nurse was a teacher. I would just like this to end, for her sake more than anything else, but it looks like we could be in for a long slow burn.

I have not yet imparted much of this to my Dad, as it really isn’t best explained by email (my main means of communication with him for anything important). I’m not planning to travel down again until 14 December unless Mums situation changes. The doctors agree she will not really benefit from a visit at the moment but I will try to get one when I am planning to go down. Can’t start that process until next week though.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
orange77