Both parents have dementia, am I at risk?

Chatterton

Dec 31, 2015
Both parents have dementia, am I at risk, both parents 80 plus years of age have dementia, father has lewy body dementia, mother has alzimers, do I have an increased risk of developing dementia?

BR_ANA

Jun 27, 2012
Brazil
Dementia cause is unknown, so you may be or may not be at risk.

Statistically if you are older you have more chance to have dementia. But it is just statistics.

tryingmybest

May 22, 2015
My late father had vascular dementia and my mum who lives with me has some sort of dementia but never had a diagnosis of what type. I recently had a check up at the local surgeries well woman clinic and they told me it was likely I would get it. I'm not worried particularly but I think we need to take extra care of ourselves and make sure we eat healthily and do all we can to keep well and also its given me a nudge to make sure all my affairs are in order. Xx

Chatterton

Dec 31, 2015
My late father had vascular dementia and my mum who lives with me has some sort of dementia but never had a diagnosis of what type. I recently had a check up at the local surgeries well woman clinic and they told me it was likely I would get it. I'm not worried particularly but I think we need to take extra care of ourselves and make sure we eat healthily and do all we can to keep well and also its given me a nudge to make sure all my affairs are in order. Xx

Thank you for taking the time to reply.

Chemmy

Nov 7, 2011
Yorkshire
Welcome to Talking Point.

I suspect most of us on this forum have asked ourselves that same question at some point. I know I have. Don't let statistics frighten you. If there's, say, a 1 in 50 chance of someone being affected by something, (and I'm not not necessarily talking about dementia as I don't know the stats) , then that means that 49 out of 50 won't be. I like to think that I'll be one of the lucky 49 :)

Positive thinking.

This fact sheet might be of interest

https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/site/scripts/documents_info.php?documentID=102