1. Expert Q&A: Benefits - Weds 23 October, 3-4pm

Our next expert Q&A will be on the topic of benefits. It will be hosted by Lauren from our Knowledge Services team. She'll be answering your questions on Wednesday 23 October between 3-4pm.

You can either post your question >here< or email them to us at talkingpoint@alzheimers.org.uk and we'll be happy to ask them on your behalf.

Both parents have dementia, am I at risk?

Discussion in 'Welcome and how to use Dementia Talking Point' started by Chatterton, Dec 31, 2015.

1. Chatterton

Chatterton Registered User

Dec 31, 2015
    Both parents have dementia, am I at risk, both parents 80 plus years of age have dementia, father has lewy body dementia, mother has alzimers, do I have an increased risk of developing dementia?

2. BR_ANA

BR_ANA Registered User

Jun 27, 2012
    Brazil
    Dementia cause is unknown, so you may be or may not be at risk.

Statistically if you are older you have more chance to have dementia. But it is just statistics.

3. tryingmybest

tryingmybest Registered User

May 22, 2015
    Female
    My late father had vascular dementia and my mum who lives with me has some sort of dementia but never had a diagnosis of what type. I recently had a check up at the local surgeries well woman clinic and they told me it was likely I would get it. I'm not worried particularly but I think we need to take extra care of ourselves and make sure we eat healthily and do all we can to keep well and also its given me a nudge to make sure all my affairs are in order. Xx

4. Chatterton

Dec 31, 2015
    Thank you for taking time to reply.

5. Chatterton

Dec 31, 2015
    Thank you for taking the time to reply.

6. Chemmy

Chemmy Registered User

Nov 7, 2011
    Yorkshire
    Welcome to Talking Point.

I suspect most of us on this forum have asked ourselves that same question at some point. I know I have. Don't let statistics frighten you. If there's, say, a 1 in 50 chance of someone being affected by something, (and I'm not not necessarily talking about dementia as I don't know the stats) , then that means that 49 out of 50 won't be. I like to think that I'll be one of the lucky 49 :)

Positive thinking.

This fact sheet might be of interest

https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/site/scripts/documents_info.php?documentID=102