Books To Help Understand Dementia

KatherineW

Oct 2, 2007
London
Message from the Manager of AS Dementia Knowledge Centre

Hi everyone

I've been asked to post the below message from Janet, the Manager of the Society’s Dementia Knowledge Centre (aka the Library). :)

Hi there,

It’s been interesting to read all your posts and comments about various books written for carers about dementia. As a former carer- my Mum had Alzheimer’s- I’ve read a lot of books myself and I know how useful it can be to read about other people’s experiences and insights into living with dementia.

I’ve no intention of telling you which books think are best because I’d rather you formed your own opinions. Instead I would like to point you to our resource lists on the Society website.

If you go to www.alzheimers.org.uk/resourcelists you will find lists of key topics on a whole range of subjects related to dementia in an a/z list. Included are categories:

Books for carers
Literature Novels
Literature Biography and personal stories

You’ll find most of the books here that you’ve already discussed in this thread and many more besides, each with some description which I hope will help you chose what to read next. I’m just sorry that we can’t lend books to you. Sadly public libraries are not a great source for books about dementia so I would suggest Amazon as a source to buy. They are even good for books published by small publishers.

I do hope this helps

Janet

2jays

Jun 4, 2010
West Midlands
I have just bought listening to alzheimers and creating moments of joy from ebay (buy it now) found them cheaper than amazon

Jancis

Jun 30, 2010
Hampshire
Hi everyone

I've been asked to post the below message from Janet, the Manager of the Society’s Dementia Knowledge Centre (aka the Library). :)

Thanks Katherine and many thanks to Janet - I haven't had time to look at this resource in depth but it looks absolutely brilliant.

allend100

Jul 11, 2011
Leicestershire
I've read 'learning to speak alzheimers' thought it was really useful if. Some sound advice and some ways to ways to tackle certain behaviors I would have never thought of but have worked in practice.

DLM

Last edited:
I finished "And still the music plays" yesterday.

Each chapter concerns a different person with dementia, and shows a problem with behaviour/communication and shows how understanding the person resolves the issue, especially if you're a bit creative about it. I found it both sad and hopeful - sad to think of how bad things could get for Dad and hopeful that I can help him to get the best life possible by understanding him.

dora

Aug 1, 2007
England
Practical book on dementia

Just got a book out of the library

Explaining Alzheimer's and dementia: more than memories by David Moore published by Emerald. £ 9.99

This book challenges the "medical model" and is a person-centred and positive book.
It is both brief and very clear.
There is a chapter emphasising strengths rather than weaknesses.
An excellent chapter "Behaviour: a form of communication" which suggests various causes for behaviours rather than saying "it's just the dementia".
The last chapter "Keep listening!" is about enhancing communication and suggestions for how to respond to difficult questions.

I found this to be a book with a positive AND realistic approach, unlike some I have read, and I think anyone on this site would gain something from reading it.

benjie

Apr 14, 2009
north staffs
Wow just found this thread and am definitely going to check out some of these books as hubby is in CH now but still want to have a very insightful and interactive relationship with him. Think he still has a lot in there and want to improve things as much as possible. Medication is all well and good but communication is so very important too.

Thanks for all your posts.

Benjie xxx

CINDYJANE

Feb 9, 2012
Devon/somerset
Keeping Mum

I've just read 'Keeping Mum' by Marianne Talbot which was very good. It is about her time looking after her Mum who had Alzheimers but it also has snippets of information throughout the book which are in coloured boxes making them easy to latch on to.
I have also got out of our library a book called 'Activities that stimulate the mind' by Emilia Bazan-Salazar. I think it is mainly for use by activity co-ordinators in nursing homes but it has some good things that anyone can use, in fact I plan to use some of the activities with my guide company!!
I hope your library has them and you find them useful.

I am just reading KEEPING MUM by Marianne Talbot . It has been an excellent insight into the real issues of caring for a parent with dementia and I would strongly recommend it. it has helped me to understand better the behaviour and needs of my mother who is in the middle stages and has just entered a care home.
Another great book to read is the 36 hour day.if you want to understand how people with dementia think about things (or not...!).

JigJog

Nov 6, 2013
I have found 'Dementia Essentials' by Jan Hall very useful and also 'Still Alice' by Lisa Genova. This last one is an account of what it feels like to be inside the mind of an Alzheimer's patient.

grove

Aug 24, 2010
North Yorkshire
For Kellie - Ann .....................

Hi Kellie Ann ............. Hope this helps :) this is my Thread / Book List & Ideas from other TP 'ers

Good Luck & Hope you find some thing you like / find suitable

Have to confess :eek: have not read any of them , however did order the Telegraph Book expect I will read it one day !

Grove x x

DLM

A Common Sense Guide to Alzheimer's Care Kisses for Elizabeth

"A Common Sense Guide to Alzheimer's Care Kisses for Elizabeth is
written for both family and professional caregivers of people with
Alzheimer's disease and other dementias. It is a practical resource for
anyone experiencing difficulty with significant behavioral issues but is
also helpful to caregivers who simply want to provide the best possible
care.

The author has developed 15 common sense guidelines which address
a wide variety of concerns by helping caregivers to solve problems or
even prevent them. The guidelines also address negative behaviors such
as wandering, combativeness, paranoia and sundowning. The book explains
what dementia is, how it affects people who suffer from it and why these
behaviors occur.

Stephanie D Zeman MSN RN has included over 40 true heartwarming stories about her
patients with dementia and ways in which the guidelines were applied to
help resolve their problems and enhance the individuals quality of life

Since one of the best ways to learn is by example,
Stephanie D Zeman MSN RN has included over 40 true heartwarming stories

Kisses for Elizabeth: A Common Sense Approach To Alzheimer's and Dementia Care (Volume 1) by Stephanie D Zeman MSN RN (Mar 8, 2012) - Large Print

$19.95 $16.62 Paperback Amazon.com
Order in the next 18 hours and get it by Monday, Apr 28.
$9.99 Kindle Purchase

In highly recommend this book