books to buy

sooty

Feb 17, 2007
Nova Scotia Canada
Hi
I was wondering if some one could recommend the best books to buy or borrrow from the library about Dementia. There seems so much out there but some posts must have found one or two gems that they have gained insight or good help from. I am looking for one about what to expect in the various stages(Mom is moderate) and best care options and how to communicate effectively. Sooty

Nutty Nan

Nov 2, 2003
Buckinghamshire
Dear Sooty,

My absolute favourite is 'Learning to Speak Alzheimer's' by Joanne Koenig Coste (ISBN No. 0-09-188672-4). It is down-to-earth, easy to read, and I found it very inspiring and empowering.

Another helpful read is 'The Selfish Pig's Guide to Caring' by Hugh Marriott (ISBN No. 09544233-1-3). A refreshingly different approach.

How appropriate and useful a book is will depend on many factors such as your relationship to the 'patient', the stage he/she is at, the support you may already have .......... I find it helpful to dip into the above two books at intervals, as I connect with different paragraphs/ideas at different stages of my task.

Good luck, and let me know how you get on and whether you find your own favourites!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dorarosa