Book Group: 'What I Wish People Knew About Dementia' by Wendy Mitchell

HarrietD

Staff Member
Staff member
Apr 29, 2014
London
Hi everyone,

This month, Dementia together magazine's book group is reading What I Wish People Knew About Dementia, by Wendy Mitchell.

Tell us what you think about this second book from Wendy, who was diagnosed with young-onset dementia aged 58 - either post below or email your thoughts to magazine@alzheimers.org.uk by 3 March so they can be shared in the next issue.

9781526634481.jpeg

Where to access this book:

Tricot

Jun 20, 2017
France
Can you say when the next issue will be available and where to find it, please? I've recently read Wendy Mitchell's first book and would be very interested to hear what people have to say about this new one.

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
Hi @Tricot

There will be a thread announcing the next magazine publication .... there is one for each issue

Here's the one for the latest

and this is the page on the main AS site

HarrietD

Staff Member
Staff member
Apr 29, 2014
London
Thanks @Tricot :) The latest magazine announcements are usually here, and the most recent one is here. Hope that helps, and I hope you found the reviews interesting to read too!

Dunroamin

May 5, 2019
UK
Reading this and getting more and more depressed as I turn the pages. Perhaps time to close it and move on.

On the other hand it does describe amazingly well what we as people with dementia face. I just dont think I am in the right frame of mind at the moment to face up to it. If you are a carer it will, no doubt, explain our perception of the world we struggle with

HarrietD

Staff Member
Staff member
Apr 29, 2014
London
Thanks for sharing your thoughts on the book, @Dunroamin. It's completely understandable to not be in the right frame of mind for it right now.

Cedaroflebannon

Sep 6, 2020
A friend gifted this book to me; its a little late for us as OH in mid stage. It’s very interesting and she has wonderful insights and acceptance into her condition. What struck me was how she coped when on her familiar walk round the village she “suddenly” couldn’t recognise the scenery. With great wisdom she stopped and was able to reassure herself that someone from her village would be along shortly and would guide her back to her cottage which they did! It was a “wow” moment for me as OH had problems recognising our front door. She is an extraordinary person full of courage, humour and ingenuity. She creates a memory room which she can go to when reality changes; she has put in place lots of self soothing “helps”. Definitely recommend it with the warning that, as we all know, it is only one persons story with alzheimers. OHs story is completely different! I hope “general public” do not take this as a template for everyone!